55. Bowie

Roger

Well, I can't say tonight was my best show. I'll admit, I had a little too much to drink beforehand. 

Just a little though. 

Anyways, I suppose the extra couple shots of tequila I had really put me over the edge so singing and drumming at the same time proved to be quite the challenge. I started out okay and I was able to kind of fuck my way through, but it all caught up to me by the time my baby came around. 

Not my human baby. He or she hasn't been born yet. But I mean my baby baby. My most prized piece of work. 

I'm In Love With My Car. 

Yeah, by the time it came to sing that song I was so far gone I couldn't remember what verse was when or what the chorus sounded like. Thank God for muscle memory because that's the only thing that got me through. 

And Freddie. 

"I owe you one," I tell my friend, my arm slung over his shoulder as we walk to a party downtown. I had forgot the lines to my song so after a solid twenty seconds of awkward silence, Freddie came in and started singing which eventually got me back on track. 

"I either sing the bloody song or we stand there like idiots," Freddie laughs. 

I snicker. "Don't tell the other lads but if anyone were to sing my song, I'm glad it's you," 

Freddie laughs and lightly shoves me off him, grimacing at the smell of alcohol on my breath. 

"Jeez, I hope there aren't any open flames at the party, Rog," he jokes. 

I roll my eyes as the four of us scramble down the streets, towards the blaring music. Well actually there's five of us. I just don't count Paul as one of us. 

I don't really count him as a person if I'm being honest. 

It doesn't take us long before we arrive at the mansion. I forget who's hosting this party, but I do believe that everyone who is everyone is here. Besides of course Maddie who really is everything to me, but she's too far away and she is also very pregnant. 

The party is extremely lively by the time the boys and I arrive. Hundreds of people linger inside to escape the chilly air out. Music blasts and the smell of alcohol and cigarettes takes over the rest of my senses. 

"You made it!" A voice shouts when walk through the entrance. It takes me a second to realize, but I put two and two together when Elton John is walking towards us. "I didn't know if you would, with your show and leaving tomorrow," 

"Is this your house?" I ask, feeling slightly confused. I don't even know what country we are in. 

Elton laughs and shakes his head. "No, I wish though," he comes towards us and throws his arms around mine and Freddie's shoulders. "It's David's. I wonder if he'll let me buy it off him," he chuckles and leads us through the crowds of people.

As the night progresses, I've sobered up quite a bit. Freddie and Paul disappeared somewhere but John, Brian and I linger around one another. I don't know too many people here besides Elton and I don't feel like interacting much. This seemed like a better idea when I was fucked up earlier. Now that I'm sober I just want to call Maddie and go to bed. 

"I figured you'd be mingling amongst the people," Brian says to me with lighthearted laugh. 

I smile and shrug. "Not feeling it tonight," I answer. 

"You were a couple hours ago," Deaky comments. I glare at him as he laughs to himself. 

As I open my mouth to say something, someone else comes over and plops himself down on a chair in between Brian and I. 

"Are you enjoying the party?" David Bowie asks. My mouth forms an 'o' shape as I realize this is the David that Elton mentioned. 

"It's a great party, David," Brian says, giving the man a smile. 

David points his finger to a room not too far away from us. 

"Freddie seems to be having the time of his life, that party animal," he laughs. "And here I thought the infamous Roger Taylor would be the one to be living it up," 

"Rog is all bent out of shape because of his pregnant fiancé at home," John snickers. 

David looks at me with wide eyes and a fake surprised expression. 

"Oh darling, that is gossip," he says. "How far along is she?" 

It takes me a minute to gather my thoughts, but eventually I find the answer I'm looking for. 

"Six months?" I say, it coming out more like a question. "Or is it seven? I don't know but she's very pregnant,"

David sighs and leans back in his chair. 

"That is so wonderful," he says. "I'm happy for you. Might I suggest the name David if it's a boy?" 

"You'll have to fight him because he wants the name Roger Junior," Brian tells David. 

"I think we are forgetting the fact that Deaky also has a pregnant girlfriend at home," I point out, taking the attention off of me. 

David furrows his eyebrows and holds a hand to his chest. 

"John Deacon? Oh how scandalous," he whispers dramatically. "Might I also suggest the name David if it is a boy? David Deacon has a bit of a ring to it - sorry Roger,"

"Not an issue," I say, holding my hands up. 

"I do have to agree. David Deacon just sounds right," Brian comments. He lifts his glass to his lips and take s sip of whatever liquor is inside. 

"Well, to be honest, Veronica and I were actually thinking of the name Robert if it's a boy and Laura if it's a girl," John admits, his face blushing slightly. 

"Robert is very close to Roger," I mutter, earning a look from Deaky. 

"How far along is your girlfriend?" David asks John. 

"About seven months? She's only a little ahead of Maddie," he answers. 

"Who is Roger's fiancé..."

"Right,"

"I think I got it now," David smiles. "And does the lovely Brian May have a significant other?" 

Brian nods, his black curls bouncing as he does. 

"I do, actually. Her name is Chrissie," he tells David. 

"What a beautiful name," David says. He looks like he is about to say something else but a large crash from another room demands his attention. He grimaces and then gives us all an apologetic look before standing up. "I apologize, but I should go see what that was. But listen, how about we all get together when you lads return to England and I can meet your lovely partners?"

The three of us agree and David waves before sauntering off, into the crowd. I turn my head away when I lose sight of his colorful outfit amongst the herd of people. 

"I like him," Brian comments. 

John and I nod. 

"Do you think Queen would do collaborations?" John asks. 

"I don't see why now," Brian says as I shrug. "Did you have an idea for one?" 

"I don't know...when David was here I got an idea in my head, you know?"

A collaboration with David Bowie? I would be down for that. He's got a wonderful voice and he seems like a great person. 

"Take your ideas and run with them," I tell him. He gives me a genuine smile to which I can't help but return. 

"Yeah," he says. "I think I will,"