40. Jewelry

I need to lose weight like real bad so if anyone wants to motivate me that would be amazing lol my cheeto-eating habits have caught up to me

...

Roger

I somehow managed to leave without waking Maddie up. I left her a note saying the boys and I need to do some music nonsense, I don't even know. It wasn't the best lie but I just needed to put down something. And besides it's not like I am lying for malicious purposes. 

John and I, along with a bodyguard, currently wander the streets of London, looking for jewelry shops. We've been to two so far and we didn't find any luck. Who knew that looking fora ring would be so hard? I don't know why I thought I could find one at the first store we went to but I suppose that's not how it works. I found myself extremely nitpicky at the two stores we went to. John's a good friend because I wouldn't have been as patient with me as he was. 

"We could try the one down Mull Street?" John suggests. I sigh. 

"Do you think they'll have decent rings? I mean I can't just get Maddie any ring, for fucks sake," I complain. 

"Well we'll have to go there to see," 

We spend the next ten or so minutes walking to the jewelry shop Deaky is talking about. Our bodyguard, Richard, follows closely. It's a recent thing that body guards follow us everywhere now. I suppose with Queens fame continually rising it makes sense. 

We finally reach the little shop. It's not what I thought it would look like. It's definitely family owned and I worry that this will be another flop. Not that all family owned stores are bad, but they don't have the same access to the good stuff as the bigger businesses. At least that's what I've found. 

A bell chimes as the three of us walk in. An old man sitting at one of the counters, smiles at us. 

"Hello - oh - you're those fellows from the radio!" he says cheerily. I give him a tight smile. 

"Hello, I'm John and this is Roger," Deaky introduces us nicely. "And this is Richard," he gestures to the other man with us.  

"Yes, yes. I do rather enjoy your music. You're doing a great job, boys," the man says. "What can I do you for?" 

John nudges me hard in the side. 

"I'm - uh - I'm looking for a-" I start, my voice an octave higher than usual. 

"My friend here is looking for a ring," John says for me. Bless him. 

"Ah must be for a special lady. I have a selection for you out," the man says. He gets up from where he was sat, his knees cracking in the process. He hobbles over to one of the glass display cases and pulls a key from his pocket to open it up. John and I walk closer to inspect what he's bringing out. 

The man places a grey velvet tray full of diamond rings on top of the glass. My eyes wander to each one quicker than I can process. I gingerly reach out and grab one, inspect it, and then move on to the next. I do this for the rest of them. 

"See anyone you like, Rog?" John asks in reference to the rings. 

I furrow my eyebrows. "I dunno," I say. I like them all, but none of them really speak to me. I feel my palms get sweaty. What if I don't find the right one?

"I might have something for you," the old man says. He walks out of sight to the back of the store, and comes back less than thirty seconds later with a small box. "This one is brand new. I haven't put it out yet because I was waiting to sell at least one other first," He opens the little blue box, revealing a beautiful ring. It has a large diamond in the center, surrounded by smaller diamonds. Something about the cut of it is intriguing. 

"That's a nice one," John comments. 

 It is, isn't it. Something about this one strikes me different than the last ones. It just feels...right.

Oh God, I've become a sap. That was the most cliche thought I've had. 

"I'll take it," I announce.

The old man beams and we spend the next couple minutes figuring out pricing and sizing. Money wasn't an issue for me because eI would have spent anything, but I'm concerned with the size of the ring. Mary told me what she speculates it is but I still fear it won't be perfect. 

"Is there anything else I can help you with or get for you?" the old man asks once we are all set with the ring in hand. 

"Just..please don't tell anyone we were in here," I ask sheepishly. 

The man chuckles lightly. "It'll be our secret. It's nobody else's business. Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise," 

I grin. "I really appreciate that," 

And with that John, Richard, and I leave and I could not feel more satisfied. Worried, yes, but still happy that I finally got it. My future is coming together exactly how I wanted it to and I could not be more excited. 

...

I cut this chapter a little short so there could be more for the next chapter :)