53. The Machine of a Dream

Roger

I've been giddy with excitement since Maddie told me the news. The thought of being parents terrifies me. I know for a fact I'm not ready to be a dad, but somehow being with Maddie calms me. She'll be a great mum, I know it. And I'll be right there with her, every step of the way. That's the part that excites me - building a family with Maddie. 

"Hey Brian," I say, throwing a drumstick at my poodle friend. He turns to glare at me. "Do you think Roger Junior is a good name for a boy?" 

Brian rolls his eyes, a disgusted look on his face. 

"I pray the baby has Maddie's common sense," Brian mutters, turning away from me. 

I groan and shift on my stool. Brian picks up his guitar and studs a couple of notes, preparing for tuning. Our next concert is in two hours and we've done barely anything to prepare for it. Paul is about ready to have an aneurysm. 

"What does that have to do with my name choice?" I ask Brian. 

Brian raises his eyebrows but doesn't make eye contact with me. 

"Well if you name your child Roger Junior that would imply the baby is a mini you," Brian tells me. "And I don't think any of us want another you running around,"

I hold a hand to my chest in fake hurt. I hear John snickering off to the side so I turn to face him. 

"Well I'm glad you find this so hilarious," I say to him. 

John shrugs, a grin still plastered on his face. I turn to Freddie when he comes briskly walking in. He takes a seat at his piano and plays a couple notes. 

"Can you believe this?" I ask him. Freddie turns to me, clearly not have heard our conversation. "Brian's trying to tell me another me running around would be a bad thing," 

"I'm not trying to tell you anything," Brian pipes up. "I am telling you,"

I scoff. The nerve of my band mates. They don't even deserve the title 'friends' at this moment. 

"Well darling, that would be dreadful," Freddie says to me without batting an eyelash. "I hope Madison has strong genes because that child needs all the help he or she can get," Freddie starts laughing. "I mean could you imagine another Roger? You better hide your cars, ladies and gentlemen. None of them are safe anymore,"

Brian and John break out into a fit of laughter but I'm not amused. I'll lock myself in a cupboard again, I don't care. What are they going to do? Fly Maddie out to get me? 

"You better watch it or you'll be looking for a new drummer," I threaten, pointing a finger at the three guys around me. They all look at me like I'm full of shit. 

"Rog, you threaten to leave at least three times a week," Brian points out. "If you were going to, you would have done it by now," 

I know my threats are empty, but I need something I can actually pull the plug on so when I threaten it and actually follow through they'll be sorry. I groan loudly. I can't do that to Deaky though. He's too innocent. But Brian and Freddie will pay, oh will they ever. 

"You'll rue this day, Brian," I say to him. He gives me an amused look. "You'll rue it!" 

"What the hell is all the commotion?" Paul asks, waltzing on to the stage. 

I roll my eyes, not caring if he sees. Brian seemingly does the same. The two of us don't try to hide our distaste for the man. Deaky at least tries to be nice, but Freddie...Freddie swoons over him. Sometimes I swear Freddie is growing closer to Paul than with Brian, John, or I and it's quite frustrating. Sad even.