Flash & Flashes

Twice a year, Midtown High School in New York City took a field trip. One time it was Hammer Industries (Tony Stark's enemy) and another the school went to Oscorp (where Peter was bitten by a spider), there were museums and tourist locations but mostly educational trips. They never told the students where they were going until they arrived at their destination. It added mystery and ensured more students would go.

Peter Parker almost didn't make the cut. His permission slip (signed by his adoptive dad Tony Stark) was deemed a fraud and he almost got a detention until he had one forged by Nat under the late Aunt May's name and promised to stop with the internship 'lie'. The adoption was being kept under the wraps until Peter's high school graduation in 15 months.

And so the young hero found himself on the iconic (as Peter would say) yellow school bus to an unknown location on a chilly Thursday morning. As the bus rolled around the city and Ned chatted his ear off, Peter found himself zoning out and thinking about what he would do when he got back home.

It was a little weird thinking of Stark Tower as home but then again there were a lot of things about Peter that weren't normal. His schedule was usually the same everyday with rare variations. The plan was have Happy drive home, homework, work with Tony in the lab, cook dinner with his other dad Steve, hang/train with the Avengers, and then sleep.

Many would see the opportunity to design Iron Man suits with Tony Stark or bake lasagna with Captain America to be one of the most exciting things in the world, but Peter had been living in the tower for almost a year since he and May had moved in shortly after the Vulture incident before her cancer. By this point in time, Peter was used to it. He still thought it was a dream every time Tony or Steve called him son or when he called Dr. Bruce Banner (one of the most renowned scientists of this generation!) 'Uncle Bruce'.

Peter was jerked from his thoughts as the bus driver slammed on the brakes. They were at the destination.

Whispers and eventually shouts filled the bus as students learned their destination. Peter looked out the window to find his house.

Crap.

The blood drained from his face as he realized he would have to put up with his entire family in front of his classmates. Flash was instantly by his side, taunting and teasing about the internship. Peter was technically lying because he really didn't have an internship. But he was adopted by two of the Avengers so it was better. And he worked with Tony anyway and most interns didn't even see Tony. So Peter got a better deal in the end.

While the unfortunate teen wished a giant meteor would fall and put him out of his misery, the students filed out of the bus and continued gaping at the surprisingly simplistic lobby. Most would assume Tony would have the grandest entrance money could buy but he preferred a minimalistic look to something crowded with clutter.

Peter turned out the numerous students (and staff) whispering about his internship lie and hoped to the gods the field trip would turn out alright. He turned to ask his best friend to pit him in a coma but instead found the tech genius fanboying. Which was understandable since he had yet to visit his best friend and his new living quarters.

The group stood (im)patiently for a tour guide as they waited in the lobby. After a few minutes, Happy arrived.

Of course. The tour guide just had to be someone Peter knew. Just great.

Happy saw Peter (despite his efforts to stay hidden in the back of the group) and decided to single him out. Just for fun.

"Hey, Peter. Long time no see"

Peter wanted nothing more than to crawl under a rock and die. But instead he responded with a wave and said "heyyyyyyy, Happy. Same time tomorrow?" He gave a small nervous chuckle.