Attack Part 6

Requested by Kirimilliganhadlen 

-----

Tony had gotten his family back, but they weren't the same.

Steve and Peter barely spoke on the ride home. They stayed curled against each other like they had in the cell and would only respond with monosyllable answers whenever Tony or Nat asked a question. Occasionally, they managed a whole sentence.  The silence continued as they were taken to the med bay and treated by Drs. Cho and Strange. 

As they ate dinner, Peter asked "Can you pass the salt, please? Thank you" and stayed silence once again. Steve didn't say anything.

Tony said "Goodnight. I love you both."

They just smiled and muttered "I love you, too," almost inaudibly.

Tony was scared. Peter was usually chatty and would rarely stop talking. Steve wasn't as talkative as his son, but was only this quiet when sleeping.

Every time Tony or anyone of the Avengers tried to touch them, they flinched. If someone other than close family tried to touch Peter or Steve, they would fall to the ground crying. It took a week for Peter to hug Tony again. Even then, it lasted for less than a second. Tony didn't even have time to return the embrace. He cried himself to sleep that night, all alone in bed while Steve and Peter slept in a different room down the hall.

After two weeks, he hired a therapist. Not just any therapist. The best therapist money could buy. Dr. Barden was flown in from Germany and housed in Stark Tower. Tony didn't know how long it would take to get his family back, but he would do anything he could to save them.

He wasn't allowed in during the first five weeks of sessions. Dr. Barden refused to reveal anything said either, leaving Tony in the dark about his family. But it seemed to be working. After three days, Peter hugged Tony again and held on long enough for Tony to hug back. Five days and Steve had a conversation with him about painting. Ten days and Steve kissed him.

After every milestone, Tony cried. While he usually did it alone in the comfort of the guest room he was staying in, he couldn't help himself when Steve kissed him. The billionaire broke down in tears the second Steve's lips touched his. In a surprising turn of events, Steve wiped the tears away with his thumbs and consoled him with a hug and more kisses and sweet words of comfort.

Dr. Barden allowed Tony to sit it during the eighteenth session, over a month since therapy had started. 

"I'm only allowing it because I believe this will be the last session." she had said. 

It had been a good day even before Tony heard the news about therapy. Steve had given him a morning kiss and initiated conversation with Tony and Bruce about seeing them working in the lab sometime. Unlike most days, Steve didn't clam up when his husband tried asking questions; instead, he answered them and asked some of his own. Peter had run into the kitchen with a loud 'good morning' and began chatting about a funny meme he had seen. 

Both Peter and Steve were smiling and talking and hugging again and Tony couldn't have been happier. Even if it was just a 'good night' or a light touch on the shoulder or a small chuckle after a joke, it was progress.

And that progress was why Tony was sitting in a small, unused conference room around a circular table. Steve was on his right with Dr. Barden on his left. When Tony reached his hand out, Steve grabbed it and held it. The billionaire turned his face to hide the large grin spreading across his face.

"So, let's begin." Dr. Barden announced with a smile. "You two have probably noticed I don't have my yellow notepad with me," she said in her light German accent, "it's because this will be your last therapy session if all goes well."