Chapter 16: Deception vs Deception

"Here," Zhihuan says before shoving some festive dancing clothes at Fanghua. They were in a storage room that had all kinds of stuff. The clothes themselves were designed to suit a man and came in the colours black, red and gold.

"You do know that we look extremely different...right? There's no way I can pose as you, especially with our height  difference." Fanghua says, questioning the sanity of the crown prince to suggest such an idea. In fact, Fanghua only reached up to half of Zhihuan's neck. Anyone would be able to tell the difference straight away.

Zhihuan didn't reply, suddenly throwing a very large object towards Fanghua which he almost dropped. It slammed against his chest, causing Fanghua to wince and want nothing more than to throttle the crown prince.

After he stopped glaring at Zhihuan's back, he glances down to the object in his hands and sees a large wooden mask with a weird pattern and shape. Turning it around, he almost drops it to the floor in shock, a menacing demon mask stares back at him with bulging eyes.

 Turning it around, he almost drops it to the floor in shock, a menacing demon mask stares back at him with bulging eyes

The colours were red and yellow, like the raging pits of hell. The demon bares its fangs, his tongue sticking out to evoke a sense of fear in its victim. It had been a while since he last saw one.

"This will give the illusion that you are tall whilst wearing this as your head will be concealed. So do not question me again and know your place," Zhihuan says coldly, giving him a hard stare.

Fanghua was not fazed at all and continued to ask. "Wait, wait, wait. Have you even thought of the possibility that I cannot dance to save my own life?" Fanghua questions, a little scared now that he realised there was nothing holding him back in doing the dance anymore. Appearance wise anyways.

Zhihuan smirks to himself secretly. That was exactly what he was assuming. He had told Fanghua that he would be posing as him but in reality that was all a lie. He knew this maid did not know how to dance, after all, it was an art for the rich or for actual performers who did it for a living. Fanghua, on the other hand, was just a poor penniless fool who had tried to rob him, straight away indicating to Zhihuan that he was of poor status.

Zhihuan's master plan was to actually make Fanghua be put on the spot and embarrass himself tenfold, especially in front of the Empress herself. So when Fanghua was finished and everyone had assumed the Crown Prince had made a fool of himself, he would then appear or make his eunuch come and explain that the Crown Prince was actually feeling unwell but did not want to disappoint his guests and had this person perform.

And then after all that, his mother will demand the dancer to take off his mask for showing such an atrocity and everyone will realise it was the maid from before and understand just how useless she is, especially that darn prince Zen from the Wei Kingdom.

And then his mother will feel apologetic for assigning such a useless maid to the third prince and revoke her command. Mwahaha. He was a genius. Zhihuan's thoughts run wild as he stares at Fanghua staring intently at the demon mask before looking up to meet his eyes.