Chapter 2: A New Friend. A New Rival.

Well...here I am

I'm now in front of Professor Birch's lab. As for Drew, he went somewhere else so that he can start practicing his appeals routine with Roselia.

I didn't want to be rude, so I knocked on the door. The door opened and I saw a man with dark green hair and had glasses on. Well, at least this guy has dark green hair. It wasn't weird because it wasn't light green like Drew's and Uncle Anthony's.

"You must be the other trainer who gets a Pokémon from the professor today. Your name is Melanie, right? My name is Joshua, by the way. I'm the professor's assistant." He told me.

"Nice to meet you, Joshua, but my name is Milani, not Melanie." I told him as politely as I can.

"I'm so sorry, Milani. Please do come in. The professor is already inside waiting for you."

As we walked inside, I got bothered by the fact that Joshua called me "the other trainer who gets a Pokémon." I guess I'm not the only one. I just hope he didn't get the one I want. Wow...I'm too bothered by the fact that there is another trainer getting a Pokémon. I didn't mind that he initially called me Melanie. I'm kinda used with that now. I've been mistakenly called Melanie since kindergarten. I don't blame them. Melanie is quite a common name, while Milani is somewhat different. It's like Melanie, but the stress is on the 'a'. Well...this mini-lecture on how to properly pronounce my name got my mind off the possibility that some other trainer already took the Pokémon I want.

Joshua and I now arrived at the room where Professor Birch and some other kid were standing. I guess that kid is the other trainer getting his first Pokémon today. His hair was as dark blue as the night sky. He is wearing a blue shirt that is only slightly lighter than his hair. He also wore denim jeans and black sneakers. As he smiled, I saw some serious dimples. No really...I've never seen dimples like that. Wait...what am I thinking about? I can't go crazy over some dude's dimples, and this said dude might have gotten the Pokémon I wanted.

"Well you must be Melanie! It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard from your aunt Maribel that you have so much potential as a trainer." The professor spoke up.

"Actually, sir, her name is pronounced as Milani. The stress is on the letter 'a'." Joshua told him before I could. Is he a mind-reader? Was he telepathically listening to my mini-lecture?

"Oh, I am terribly sorry. Ahem...let me start over. It's nice to finally meet you, Milani."

"It's nice to finally meet you too, Professor Birch. And it's okay that you got my name wrong the first time. It usually happens anyway." I replied to him with a polite smile.

"I'm glad you're okay. Oh, by the way, this young man on my right is Jonny. He will also be getting his first Pokémon today. Actually, he had the privilege of getting his Pokémon first since he arrived earlier than you, but he insisted that you pick first. He didn't want to be rude and get the Pokémon that you wanted."

I was speechless with what the professor said. I panicked on my way here because I thought he would get the Pokémon that I want, but he waited and insisted that I pick first. I wanted to be happy about it since I can choose the Pokémon that I wanted, but instead I'm feeling guilty because I was late and that he deserved to pick first. Now I'm the one thinking that I might get the Pokémon he wanted.

"But...um...p-professor, I think it is just fair that Jonny gets to pick his Pokémon first because he arrived here earlier than I did." I said.

"Well then, I guess-" The professor said before he was cut off.

"I'm sorry professor, but, Miss Milani, I insist that you pick first. I don't want to be the source of your disappointment because I chose a Pokémon you wanted. Really, just go ahead and pick first." Jonny said.