Chapter 18: The Balance Badge

"Milani, wake up. We're here! Welcome back to Petalburg City, and we made it just in time for May's birthday." Kenny said as I slowly opened my eyes.

After traveling, we finally made it to Petalburg City. I didn't even notice that until Kenny woke me up. Well...I did fall asleep for most of the way. We had to take a long-cut since there was a road construction somewhere near Fallarbor Town.

Kenny let me inside the Maple's residence, and I saw Norman who was already awake.

"It's nice to see you again, Milani. I'm glad you made it just in time." Norman said.

"It's nice to be back here in Petalburg, and I am ready for our rematch tomorrow." I said in reply.

"Of course, today you will have the exhibition battle against Jonny."

"Yeah...I know. Where is he, by the way?"

"He's inside our guest room. He hasn't gotten up yet."

I took a seat on the couch. I wanted to lie down, but I'm only a visitor here. I don't want to be rude.

"So...when will May start on her journey?" I asked.

"Hmm...I don't want to rush her, so maybe a little after the Hoenn League." Norman replied.

"I guess she won't be my rival yet. I bet she'll make a good trainer."

"I hope she does." He said nervously.

"She will. I'm sure."

"Well...my wife is in the kitchen. You can go there if you want to. I'm sure Kenny is there too helping her with breakfast. I'll just go upstairs to wake up Max, my son."

Norman went up the stairs and I went straight to the kitchen. The first person I saw was a tall brunette woman.

"You must be Milani. It's nice to meet you." The woman said.

"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Maple."

"Oh please. You can call me Caroline. Anyway, it's really nice that you are here to help out my May."

"Well...I hope she'll be okay with me here. She hasn't met me yet."

"Don't worry. May is a friendly young girl. I bet you two would get along well."

"I hope so."

"I just wish she'll end up falling in love with Pokémon. She isn't much of a fan."

"I bet she will. She hasn't really gotten a feel of how Pokémon battles work, and I don't think she has decided on what she really wants for herself, but I'm sure once she finds that one thing she'll enjoy doing, her love for Pokémon will come along."

"You're really wise for someone so young. How old are you again?"

"I'm actually only 10...though I'm turning 11 later this year."

--

I stayed in the kitchen to help Caroline with the food. Norman and his son Max did the decorating. Jonny soon came down as well to help with other preparations. We heard footsteps from upstairs, so we assumed May might have woken up already. Max went upstairs to somewhat stall his sister until we were done.

(Max's POV)

Man...May is so lucky to have some trainers to show her how awesome Pokémon battles are. Milani and Jonny both look like really good trainers. I just hope their visit won't go to waste when May starts her journey.

I walked to May's room when I saw her come out of it. She was already dressed up with her usual outfit. Of course, it was topped by her usual red bandana.