Chapter 27: The Grand Festival

The Grand Festival. A gathering of all the talented coordinators who have earned five ribbons across the Hoenn Region.

Drew had already registered days ago. Well duh, it’s Drew we’re talking about. He had already gone off polishing his moves with Roselia and Trapinch…although I doubt he’ll use Trapinch until he really needs to.

Meriel, Shiela and I were just hanging around the contest lobby when a sandwich came into view. The sandwich was chased by some fat orange-haired boy.

“Gotcha!” He said as he got hold of his sandwich. He then noticed that everyone was looking at him. He shook it off and went towards the attendant. Whoa. Don’t tell me he’s a coordinator. Well, looks can be deceiving.

“I’d like to register, please!” The boy said.

“Sure. I’ll I need are your contest pass and ribbons.” The attendant said.

“What? I need those things?” Whoops.

“I’m sorry. You can’t enter the Grand Festival without them.”

“How much time will it take me to get those things?”

“Well…a year. It’s already the Grand Festival after all.”

“Aww…man. Thanks.” He said as walked away and he went towards to where we were sitting. I wanted to say something to the guy, but I choose not to. I don’t even know him.

“Ok…Shiela, want to do some training with Electrike?” I asked.

“Sure. Thanks, Milani. You can use this as a preparation for the Hoenn League as well.” Shiela replied. Suddenly, the fat boy looked at us and approached us.

“Hold on!” The boy said. “You’re a trainer competing in the Hoenn League?”

“Uh…yes.” I replied.

“Lucky you. You got those ribbons. I don’t even have a single one.” Wait…what?

“Um…I’m not competing in the Grand Festival.”

“What?! But…isn’t the Grand Festival the Hoenn League?”

“No…the Grand Festival is for Pokémon Coordinators. The Hoenn League, which will be held in Ever Grande City, is for the trainers who have earned eight Hoenn badges.”

“Oh…wait…what are badges?” Man…I really wanted to facepalm.

“Badges serve as a proof of your victory in a certain gym. These gyms are located all around the region.” Meriel explained, saving me from all the trouble.

“Oh…does that mean I still can’t compete in the Hoenn League?” He asked.

“Yeah. I’m sorry, but I’m sure you’ll make it next year.” I said.

“I hope. Hold on, can I have a battle with you? I want to see how good you are. After all, you are competing in the Hoenn League. Oh…I almost forgot. My name is Morrison.”

“Hi, Morrison. I’m Milani. This over here is my sister Meriel and this is my friend Shiela.”

--

“Beldum, go!” Morrison said as he brought out his Pokémon.

“Ok then…Blaziken, it’s time to shine!” I said.

“Beldum, use Take Down!” Beldum charged towards Blaziken, but we have something to counter that.

“Blaziken, use Flamethrower!” And just like that…Beldum was hit. It was a one-hit KO.