Chapter 7 <Esmeralda>

"His daughter would probably like you," Magnus said as he watched me eat. I kept my eyes on my plate and bit my lip.

"He has a daughter?" I asked awkwardly.

"Yeah, she's only 2 so you don't have to worry-" I stood and glared at him.

"Stop telling me about your personal life, it's annoying," I scoffed pushing my empty plate away and plopping back down on the seat. Magnus stayed silent and had that same look on his stupid face from earlier. Then, he chuckles slightly and got up abruptly. I tensed as he walked around the table and made his way towards me. I stood again and backed away quickly, gasping as he smacked the back of my head. I stared up at him in shock, my hand flying to hold my head.

"What the fuck!" I snapped angrily.

"Look, I know that you had a fucked up family. I understand. But that doesn't give you an excuse to keep bad mouthing me. You don't get to take your anger out on me, got it?" He spat through gritted teeth, his face inches from mine. I admit, he scared me a little. So much so that my eyes began to water. I thought that he was going to bed me over to table and rape me right then and there. But instead he just told me off.

What kind of punishment was that? I deserved more than a smack on the head. I disrespected him, I should already be beaten to the floor by now. His actions didn't even make me feel sick. They just made me irritated, annoyed to be truthful.

"...Get away from me," I muttered, rubbing the back of my head. "You're the one who decided to be my fucking savior." Magnus gave me a look and moved away from me slowly.

"You still haven't really answered why you saved me," I said quickly. He paused and stared at me.

"I don't think I can tell you right now, Esmeralda," He muttered quietly. I laughed bitterly and crossed my arms.

"Why not?!" I asked angrily, "What's so special about me? Or do you always buy kids from their parents?"

Magnus cringed slightly and shook his head, "No, I just saw the opportunity to take someone away from a living hell. Shouldn't you be happy?" He asked.

I looked away and didn't answer. Instead I slowly walked back to my seat and stared at the kitchen sink. I honestly didn't know what to say. I think the only time I've felt happiness was when...

Well I don't know when.

"You said that your nephew had a daughter?" I asked quietly.

Magnus sighed out and grabbed my plate, walking it to the sink. "Yeah," He said, turning to me.

"Where is she?" I asked looking around slightly.

"She's at daycare. He took her early this morning because of something that....came up...." he mumbled gently. I tilted my head slightly but nodded.

"You're coming with me for the rest of the day. There's some new clothes in the room for you. So go on up and get changed, I'll be waiting," He hummed. I narrowed my eyes to slits before getting up and walking back up the stairs, away from him. Once I was back in the room I stared suspiciously at the neatly folded clothing on the bed. Which was now made. I closed the door and looked around the room then bathroom. He had to have a butler, right? That bed was not made before and Magnus was with me this whole morning. I didn't see the pile of clothes on the bed either when I got up.

I settled a bit once I realized there was no one in the room with me in the room. I gently pulled the clothes on me, off and pulled on the new set. They actually fit perfectly. But I wasn't use to the style. It was just a shirt, then some pants and a black hoodie to go over. Though the hoodie was a little too big on me. It would probably fit Magnus way better. My fingers carded through my hair which was annoying plain but frizzy. I didn't bother with it, though. I doubt this guy had a curling iron on him. So I just got out of the room quickly and walked back down stairs, this time not turning the wrong direction.

Magnus was waiting by the door with keys in his hand and a pair of shoes in his over hand. Regular tennis shoes which made me wonder if those were for me too. I was proven right as he plopped them down in front of me and handed me a pair of socks.

"Here. Hurry up, I need to meet up with some people." He sighed, staring at me with that same odd look. I glared at him but quickly pulled on the socks and shoes. Soon I followed him out he door only to be met with another hallway. We walked to an elevator and I was quickly reminded that he didn't live in a regular house. The elevator doors opened and I stepped inside first, followed by Magnus. I leaned against the wall and tucked my hands behind my back, grabbing the bar on the wall. I stared at Magnus as he pushed a button on the panel before staring up as the numbers slowly descended.

"...Why am I going with you, exactly?" I asked, keeping my eyes on him. He looked at me and our eyes met.

"I don't want you alone. You might do something stupid and I can't have that." He explained quietly. I shifted in my stance and bit my lip witch caused his gaze to focus there instead.

"You mean like going back to my parents," I states slowly. He released a heavy sigh and I swear his eyes flashed a golden color.

"Yeah. Look, kid-"

"I'm not a kid," I interrupted, crossing my arms with a quirk in my lip that turned into a angry snarl. Magnus clicked his jaw and huffed out through his nose.

"Esmeralda, I just don't want you to get hurt again," He said tightly. I was about to snap back at him but the elevator buzzed and the door opened. I rushed out and turned around looking at him with a heated gaze.

"It's useless to care about someone even if you think you know them," I whispered. Magnus looked away from me with frustration and walked past me. I turned and followed him.

Who the fuck did he think he was? Prince Charming? Does he think that he could just swoop down and save me? Probably. But you can't save someone like me. You just can't. I'm useless.

"Go ahead and get inside." I looked up. There this man stood, holding the door open for me to the passenger side of his truck. Like some kind of gentlemen. I walked forward and climbed into his truck before buckling in. My eyes closed and I leaned my head back as he shut the door.

You'll never ever escape the past. Remember this, Esmeralda.