Chapter 38 <Magnus>

I hated when he looked to terrified. He was safe with me but I couldn't protect him from those terrible nightmares and memories. And of course that wasn't fair. It wasn't fair to either of us.

"Esme," I whispered softly, shaking my love to wake him. He moaned and shoved his face into the pillows beneath his head. I chuckled and gently grazed my finger along the curve of his spine. He shuddered physically and arched his back in response, moving to peek up at me sleepily. "There you are," I basically cooed, leaning forward to kiss his soft lips. He scrunched up his nose and covered my mouth.

"It's too early for kissing," He decided, but I could tell he wanted one.

"Then I guess you'll just have to come down for breakfast so I can kiss you everywhere," I winked. He held back a smile and groaned, burying his flawless face back into the pillows.

"I don't wanna get up," He moaned and pouted. This time it was my turn to pout down at him. I moved to cage his body between my arms as I hovered over his turned away form. He seemed to shrink more into the bed sheets as he sensed my presence. Slowly, I pinned his hips down with mine before collapsing into him. Esmeralda gasped and squirmed beneath me.

"Magnus!" He wheezed, "You're heavy!"

I grinned and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face into his neck. He whined loudly and kicked his feet around between my legs. Purposefully, they kicked against the back of my thighs so I flexed them to get him tired fast. "I guess we'll stay like this then," I hummed contently against his neck. He groaned and reached over to push at my head.

"Okayyyyy," He whined loudly. "Okay, I'll get up!" He squirmed and pouted at me. I smiled big and swiftly got off of him, helping him up so he could go get ready. I left the room to check on how carter was doing with everything down stairs. I wasn't shocked to see that Olivia had the tv on full blast. That damn shark song playing again. I could hear her trying to sing along from where I had entered the kitchen.

Carter had his light pink hair pushed back with a couple of Bobby pins. He was finishing up what looked like the last bit of batter to make a pancake or two. I smiled gently once our eyes connected and placed a hand on his shoulder to pull him close. He gave me a side hug and I kissed his temple.

"Morning," he mumbled, moving away to flip the pancake.

"Morning," I answered. "You look better. The bags under your eyes are almost gone," I noted, smiling as I set out a couple of plates. Carter let out a soft sigh and put the final pancake on a large plate filled with enough for all four of us.

"Yup." He mumbled shortly. I arched an eyebrow and leaned against the counter, watching him flop pancakes onto eat plate.

"You know, you've been really quiet. Ever since Esme has been here," I said slowly. Carter scoffed softly.

"Oh, I have?" He looked over at me and tilted his head.

"Yes. You have, Carter," My hard gaze softened slowly. He seemed to tense at this. "I'm worried. And I've been worried about you. Don't think just because my mate is here, that I don't care about you any less." I said softly.

Carter looked away and gave me a shrug, placing each plate on the table with my help. He walked to the drawers and pulled out some utensils. "I'm fine, really. I'm a grown man now, you don't need to worry about me," He finally answered. "I have my responsibilities and you have yours."

"...I know it's been hard since...he...passed but please don't keep shit from me," I said. Carter physically cringed and I felt bad for bringing him up.

"Magnus, I said I'm fine," He said quickly, turning away. "I'm fine with taking care of Olivia on my own. And I can't just keep counting on your forever. You have a mate now and he has all these issues. Your hands are filled right now so don't try to comfort me or interfere with my decisions," Carter looked back at me.

"Your mother specifically asked me to take care of you if anything happened to her," My face tightened with emotion.

"And you've done that. You already raised me, Uncle. It's done," He mumbled and sighed. "I'm going to go get Olivia..."

It was silent. My teeth ground together and my lips pressed against each other as I walked over to the fridge and sighed. "He's kind of right," I blinked and looked over at Esmeralda, who was standing in the door way. I couldn't help but smile down at him.

"You're supposed to be on my side," I pouted softly. "How long were you there, listening?"

Esme shrugged and walk over to me, "Long enough to realize that I'm not the only one that has family issues," He said, leaning against the fridge door. I leaned down a kissed his soft lips gently before humming, "Yeah. Sorry for keeping you in the dark about that stuff. Carter just wouldn't like it if I suddenly told people what was happening to him...us."

He frowned slightly and played with his sleeve. "That's okay...I understand." My heart throbbed painfully,

"Yeah, I know you do, baby." I paused and looked around as Olivia waddled into the room. "Why don't you go sit down, I'm just getting the syrup out." He nodded softly and walked over to the table, sitting down and smiling softly as Olivia waved at him.

"Hi!" She said.

"Hi," Esmeralda mumbled back. I got out the syrup and placed it on the table just as Carter walked in, sitting close to his daughter. He looked over at me and slowly gave me a soft smile. I relaxed my shoulders, relieved he wasn't mad at me or anything.

"Why do I have to stay here?" Esmeralda complained, crossing his arms as he sat on the couch. We were in my office at the club. He wasn't very pleased I was leaving him here.

"Harley and Anarchy will be with you the entire time. I just don't want you home alone. And I'll only be gone for an hour or two. Adam and I need to privately discuss a couple of things," I concluded, holding his pretty face in my hands.

He stared up at me and frowned. "Only two hours?" I nodded. "Only two."

He sighed softly and slouched looking off to the side. "Fine...I guess that's not that bad," Esme mumbled, he face squished up between my palms. I chuckled softly and leaned down, pecking his his lips for a wet kiss. Letting go of his face, I turned around to phone Anarchy.

"You on your way?" I asked.

"We're already in the drive way," anarchy confirmed over the phone. I could hear a car door shut so I knew he wasn't lying.

"Alright, good luck. Oh, tell Harley to not harass my baby too much," I growled playfully. Esmeralda looked up at me with a slight blush and rolled his eyes as I hugged him.

"Yeah yeah," Anarchy laughed. "I'll tell him."

Shortly after I hung up and gave Esme one last satisfying kiss before taking my leave, walking past both Harley and Anarchy down the hall. It wasn't too long of a drive to get to Adam's place. Of course, when I got to the large ass mansion/plantation, which held too many people to even count, Adam stood there waiting. When he saw me as I exited my car, his eyes brightened.

"Magnus, took you long enough," He smirked as he greeted me. I scoffed and rolled back eyes.

"I can smell the sex rolling off your body," I joked. "I'm sure it was better for me to come this late."

"Don't put me on blast like that, I have a temptress sleeping next to me!" He whined like a child. I laughed and shook my head.

"Are we going to talk or not?" I asked. Adam hummed, slowly growing serious.

"Of course. Come inside."