Take Me Home

"Mama stop shit. Ow I'm sorry." I whined as my mom continued to hit my thigh with all her might.

"You think me stupid and you curse in front of your mama? Did I do such a bad job at raising you that you curse right in front of me eh?" My mom slapped my thigh harder pulling off the curb the moment I got into the car she pulled me into a huge hug before starting to slap my thigh for me swearing on the phone with her months ago, I swear she was like an elephant she didn't forget anything.

"Mama-"

"Don't mama me, Sikudhani. Not only will you be doing my makeup but you will also be going to church with me." She patted my thigh as to say her word was final and I was smart enough not to argue especially when I heard her use my Kenyan name.

"Nilikukosa mama." I leaned over kissing her cheek listening to her hum in approval. Being able to spend the next week and a half with my mom was going to be a dream; being around her always rejuvenated me.

Walking into my childhood home was like walking into a museum, a museum filled of things about me; to this day he shocked me just how much she loved me. She kept every drawing, photo, certificate and trophy I ever received even my suspension slips; and I never once felt embarrassed. After witnessing Anastasia mom in action I realized having a mom who loved and praised me as much as she did wasn't the worst thing in the world. Plus after her family disowned her when she decided to keep me and forgo going to medical school and my sperm donor left her high and dry, I was the only one she had and if the things I brought home made her happy than who was I to complain?

"Mama? I literally posted this picture two days ago on the gram?" I said smiling at the cake with my face on it, every time I came home I was met with a white strawberry filled cake with a photo of me on it.

"Eh I know the man at the bakery tried to give me lip when I called to tell him I wanted this picture instead of the other one. I told him you look beautiful in the first one but this, this one you look just like me so this was the one it needed to be. Now sit sit we must eat you know I don't like my cake room temperature, you'll eat two pieces you look a little skinny." I laughed joining my mom on the couch taking the huge slice of cake she cut for quickly digging in.

*******

"Ah ah have you seen me today?" My mom said taking a seat at the kitchen table as I began to start placing our breakfast down.

"Mama you just walked down the steps."

"And? It isn't like the stairs are silent you heard my footsteps. It hasn't stopped you from greeting me the right way the past couple of days."

"Samahani. Nzuri asubuhi mama. How did you sleep?" I kissed both of her cheeks before taking my seat across from hers, this was our routine for the past couple of days. One of us would make breakfast and we could just sit around and talk about any and everything.

"God woke me up this morning so I slept just the right amount. This looks good thank you my daughter."

"You're welcome mama." I smiled digging in I was a little sad she had to go to work today but I would be spending my day exploring my old stomping grounds. The whole time I was eating I could feel my mom's eyes on me she obviously had something to say but was waiting for me to look up, and she knew that I knew that was what she wanted and I was actively ignoring her.

When my plate was empty I stared at it for about three minutes before finally looking up and when I did I was greeted with my mom's knowing smiling face.

"So who is he?"

"He who?" I tried to play dumb but the look on her face told me I better stop. "Mama, I really really don't want to get into please?"