Baby

Inspired by the song: Baby by Clean Bandit (ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi)

I'm sitting in a Latina inspired restaurant enjoying watching everyone dance as I sip my margarita. My eyes are trained on the women, inspired and in awe on how well they move with their partners. When I finish my drink, I order another and head to the bathroom. When I exit, my blood runs cold as I see him standing at the bar. Brian and I dated years ago, long before he was on TruTV and famous. When my job wanted me to move to Connecticut for a promotion I took it. Brian couldn't leave his job at the firehouse so we tried to make it work. Things quickly fizzled out for us and we broke up. We didn't stay in contact but I followed his show, always admiring him and his friends for their talents. I calm my breath and walk back over to my bar stool, right next to where he is standing with a friend. When I sit, him and his friend look to see whose joined the bar and he recognizes me right away "holy shit, Y/N?" He asks, already leaning in to give me a hug.

"Hey Quinn." I hug him back, his familiar smell of beer and Cheetos reaching my nose quickly "how are you?"

"What are you doing in New York? You look great, wow. It's so good to see you." He says it all in one breath.

"Thank you, you look good yourself. I like the hair." I comment, actually really digging the grey that's showing.

"Oh, yah? You don't think I should dye it? weren't you always telling me to dye it when we were dating?" He quizzes me.

I shrug and smirk "well, if I knew how good you'd look as a silver fox I would've found a way to grey you sooner."

"I'm sure plenty of these are from you" he laughs with me "give me a second?" He asks and I nod. I move my margarita closer to me to sip and he turns to his friend and says a few words. When he turns back around, his friend leaves and Brian takes a seat next to me "so, what are you doing in New York? How long you here for?"

"I actually live in Brooklyn now, if you can believe it." I laugh, always hating when Brian would force me out to dinner in Brooklyn. Nothing against it, I just always hated the traffic getting in and out of there.

"Oh, wow! Back in the city, cool! You still with that clothing company?" He asks next, leaning forward to grab his beer.

I shake my head "sort of, I've started my own side company in a way, through them. Hard to explain but it's starting to pick up. The store is in Brooklyn so it was just easier for me to live near by then commute." I explain to him.

"Wow! You've started your own brand? That's incredible!" He smiles "so proud of you Y/N!"

I shrug "not my own brand, just like a brand within a brand." His eyes squish up as he doesn't understand and I explain "like Pink is it's own thing but it's still by Victoria secret."

"Got it! Still, that's huge!" He lifts his glass up "cheers to you!"

"Thanks, and to you, too! You and Sal and everyone really made it big. I've loved watching you on all those episodes." I say then sip my drink.

His face blushes just a little, something that doesn't happen often but he welcomes the compliment "thanks. It was so surreal when we signed on but now we're almost 7 seasons in and it's incredible."

"If anyone deserves the success it's you guys, you always worked so hard on your material." I compliment again.

"Yeah, well, it's a different adventure daily, that's for sure." He says, wanting to get off the topic of himself. We catch up for the next 30 minutes, talking about some things that have changed and reliving in some of the memories we had together. I suddenly sit up straight as I laugh at one of our old jokes, just realizing now how flirty I am being with him and how much I'm admiring him right now. His seat has managed to inch closer to mine and his hands are closer to where mine rest on the bar. "So, I have to ask you.."

"Wait" I quickly stop him "I think I know what you're going to ask and I'm not ready to answer that yet."

"Oh?" He sits up now, wondering if I really know what his question is or not.

I say to him "just give me another 30 minutes of catching up. Then I'll answer that question." I say hoping to have a few minutes of what we used to before I tell him.

30 minutes quickly and easily turns into over an hour, and as we finish talking about his newest cat, he finally asks the question "so, are you seeing anyone?"

I bite my lower lip, knowing I need to tell him "yes, I'm actually engaged."

"Engaged?! Oh, wow! That's great!" He smiles like he's genuinely happy for me.

I feel he really is and I smile back to him "thanks Brian." He leans in for another hug and I give it to him.

"Tell me about him, how long have you been together? When are you getting married?" He asks the two big questions out front.

"We've been together for 4 years now and we're getting married at the end of the year." I go on and explain to him who Joseph is, how we met and any other questions he asks.

Brian drinks the end of his beer and says "wow, he sounds like a great guy. I'm very happy for you Y/N."

"He is great, thank you." I smile, knowing our time together is coming to a close.

He looks to the bartender to get his bill, telling him to put my drinks on his much to my protest. "Well, I have to get going but I'm so happy I got to see you again. We should catch up again sometime." He says, but we both know that won't happen.

"It was so good to see you, Brian." I say to him and stand up to give him a proper hug. He pays his tab and we say a goodbye. Just as he leaves, I know I need to tell him how much he meant to me all those years ago and how I really feel. I know I'll never have another chance like this again. I grab my coat and jog to catch up to him "Brian! Wait up!" I call him when I see he turned to the right.

He turns and finds my eyes and looks at me with a soft stare. He waits as I walk over to him "I have to tell you something."

"What?" He asks.

"You know, you'll always be the one that got away for me." I say, trying to find all the right words.

His lips form into a small grin and he says "yeah, you are mine too."

I chuckle just a little and add "maybe if we met another place or.. or time it would've been different." I manage to get out.

"Yeah, I know what your saying. I'll always love ya Y/N. Know that." He says softly.

"I know." I lean up and leave a soft kiss on his cheek before turning back to head home in the other direction.