Someone You Loved

I lay in my bed, blanket on the floor and covered in my sheets. The New York summer heat hitting hard today, the air only cooling down my apartment so much. I was hoping this was all a nightmare, that when I opened my eyes it would be back to the way it was before he called me.

Last night:

"Hey! What are you doing?" I answer the phone, hopping into bed, waiting for him to text me goodnight as is.

His voice is low "I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" I ask. I remind myself that he's out west and three hours behind so it's only midnight there.

"We went out after the show, and I'm pretty drunk at the moment." He tells me, my heart sinking.

I cautiously ask him "what did you do?"

He sighs "I didn't do anything, but I wanted to."

"Okay" I slowly answer. My stomach in total knots, nausea encasing me "but you didn't."

He replies "but I could have and it would've been so easy for me. Look, this isn't who I want to be. I don't want to hurt you and I'm not a cheater but I have to wonder why I want to, yanno."

"Not really" I reply, the tears forming and my nose already beginning to run.

"I'm sorry, I just don't think we should keep dating while I'm away. I don't like who I've become." He finally gets it out what he called me to say.

I choke up but quietly answer "okay, sure."

"Can we talk when I'm back in 2 weeks?" He asks me "maybe we can figure out what happened and figure something out."

"Mmhmm. Sure" I manage to squeak out, needing to get off the phone before I completely lose it with him on it.

I spend the first two days in bed, barely leaving to get water and use the restroom. My friend Diana comes by to check on my but I keep her locked out and ignore every phone call and text. On the third day I have a text from Murray that reads "Hey, I'll be home for the weekend. Let me come over and see you."

Murray and I were friends before I started dating Brian. He introduced us. He's always been a good friend to me and I'm not surprised he's trying to reach out to me now "I'm fine, just need some time."

"Don't lie to me. Di called me. I'll be coming over on Saturday. I'll break down your door if it's not unlocked for me."

On Saturday Murray texts to tell me he'll be over at 11. At 10:39 I get out of bed and look at myself in the mirror. My hair is dirty, knotted and matted to my face. My face is clear of any makeup and greasy from crying into my pillows all week. Although I know I should shower I can't gather enough strength to do so. I change to a cleaner pair of sweats and throw some deodorant on before unlocking my front door for him and waiting in my living room "Shelby!" He calls when he opens my front door "where are—" but he stops when he sees me sitting on my couch. As soon as our eyes meet the tears return and I do everything I can to refuse them from falling down my face "oh, shell.. come here" he says although he's already on his way over to me.

After crying into his shoulder for a half an hour I finally manage to mutter to him "I'm going under and this time I fear there's no one to save me"

"That's why I'm here" he tries to encourage me.

I shake my head "what did I do wrong? Why did he want to cheat on me? I thought we were happy."