Prologue

Many centuries ago, five warriors, Ardente, River, Terra, Aera and Balon, were the masters of the elements. Ardente controlled fire, and her flames were as bright as she was beautiful. She had long red hair, stunning green eyes, and wore only red and gold. But she was always careful to keep her fire under control, and was as a result a calm, rational person. Unlike Terra, the mistress of earth and nature, whose powers were as strong as her temper. She was basically a good person, with long brown hair and deep brown eyes and a thin face, but tended to act first and think later. River, like the element she ruled, was a little of both. Usually calm and peaceful, she could get into huge rages and cause terrible storms and tidal waves. She was blond with large gray eyes. Aera, who had black hair and blue eyes, was gentle and cheerful, and pretty much always in a good mood. And then, there was Balon.

Now, he was a little different. He didn't control one given element, but had equal power over all four, though a lot less than the four mistresses of the elements. As the only man, Balon saw it as his duty to watch the others and help them. To compensate for his less powerful magic, he had worked on his physical abilities. And soon, he had become a very skilled fighter, and had thought the girls could learn too. So they had practiced. They had had no reason to fight so far, but one never knew. So for some time, they watched over the world, trying to keep the natural balance. But eventually, the demon of thunder and darkness, Zorak, wanted his share. He was, by himself, the opposite of all the five masters of nature. And he believed himself to be the only one worthy and powerful enough to master nature.  He demanded that the others relinquish all their powers to him, which would end their lives.

So they fought for what felt like an eternity. And it was a difficult fight, because as you know, Zorak was a combination of the worst in all the others, and thus equally powerful as all of them. Eventually, they defeated Zorak and used their last strength to banish him to the depths of the Earth, where no one would find him and where he couldn't escape. Then, exhausted and almost dying, they decided to let the powers in them chose new incarnations. That way, if Zorak ever did return, however unlikely it sounded, then he wouldn't know where to find the power he wanted so badly. They stood in a circle around a portal to Earth. It looked more like a perfectly round pond, except it showed everything happening on Earth.

"Now, everyone agrees? We all know what will happen if we do this." Balon said.

"Yes. But Zorak is too dangerous." Aera answered. "It's the only way."

"It seems unfair to place our burden upon innocent people..." River pointed out.

"We know. But I think we all realize we won't win another battle like that one," Ardente said. "It's the only way we can protect the Earth."

They all held out their hands in a circle. Green, Amber, Golden red, purple and silver lights shone from their outstretched hands.

"Blaze of Fire."

"Power of Water"

"Strength of Earth"

"Breath of Air"

"Light of the Guardian."

Their lights shone brighter still, and then rose as one, before slipping soundlessly through the watery portal. Ardente and Balon looked at each other, the love they felt for each other like an indestructible chain linking them together. Then, they all fell silently into oblivion.

No one knows how much time passed. And as they lay one the ground lifeless, something happened. Some unknown entity, perhaps the forces of nature, appeared to think the warriors didn't deserve to end this way. So, eventually, a gentle white light shone around the five of them. They were no longer alive, having given up their powers, but they had been given a chance to live again. As spirits of nature. As they slumbered on, the bright lights, the very essences of their powers, flew through the sky, looking for the chosen. It was the dead of night.  Everyone was fast asleep. Among them, four baby girls, spread out across the country, and a baby boy in England. The different coloured lights slipped into their sleeping bodies, and for a brief moment, their hearts and souls connected in a way they never would with anyone else. But their sleep wasn't disturbed. They weren't ready yet. And more importantly, the circle wasn't complete yet. Four girls and one boy. Five beings whose lives would never be the same.

*********************************

If you could chose one element, which would it be? What powers would you like most? Don't be shy, tell us all in a comment! And show the new incarnations of nature your support with a vote!

Who are the fateful chosen? Why them? What will become of them? Let's find out in the next chapter!