Chapter 10 - The best and the worst - part 1

Andie woke up to the sound of a dog barking outside. She opened her eyes and looked up. It was already bright outside. Glancing sleepily at her clock, she saw it was almost ten in the morning. Her mother usually never let her sleep this late... she suspected her father had intervened. She sat up, stretched and slid out from under the bed covers. She went to her dresser, looking for a pair of socks when a voice said:

"What are you doing?"

Whipping around with a gasp, she exhaled loudly when she saw who it was.

"Balon?"

After catching her breath, she said:

"Don't do that, you scared me half to death!"

"Forgive me," he said, unrepentant. "It was not my intent."

"... Never mind... what do you mean, what I'm doing? You're the one who came into my room unexpected."

She'd been tempted to say "uninvited" but didn't think it was wise.

"I wanted to speak with you." he said.

"... What about?" Andie asked warily.

The last time, that hadn't gone too well... and she shuddered to think how she'd explain to her parents why they could hear her yelling at ... no one.

"I want to know what you're doing with Bane."

Andie frowned, perplexed.

"What? I'm not doing anything with him, what are you talking about?"

"Perhaps I should have made myself clearer." Balon conceded.

After thinking a moment, he said:

"I'm sure that by now, you are aware that he has... feelings for you."

Andie frowned slightly. Where was Balon going with this?

"Yes..." she admitted carefully. "What about it?"

"But you do not reciprocate those feelings?" Balon demanded, ignoring her question."

Why did everyone seem obsessed with how she felt about Bane? Couldn't she have any peace?

"... I don't know," she said, finally. "I care deeply for him. Of that, I can assure you. But... I don't yet know exactly what I feel."

"They why let him think things that are not and cannot be true?"

Andie bristled.

"What is that supposed to mean?" she asked. "That I'm not good enough for him? Or that he's not good enough for me?"

"Neither," Balon said, sensing the rising tension. "I merely meant that whatever you feel, you would have little perspective of a future together..."

"We are not you and Ardente!" Andie retorted, remembering just in time to lower her voice. "And besides, whatever happens between Bane and me, it's none of your business!"

"It is if you're dragging Ardente into something that could get her killed!"

"You're already dead!" Andie snapped.

But as the words left her lips she immediately regretted them. There was a stunned silence.

"... I'm sorry," she said at once. "I... I didn't mean it like that... I..."

"No, you're right." he said evenly. "We are no longer alive. We can take on human form but for a limited time..."

"Balon... I just... everyone's been on my back lately about Bane. I'm trying to figure it out, and all this questioning isn't helping! I know he's a good guy, and that we get along great, and that we have a connection thanks our powers. But... I'm not sure where I am, yet."