Chapter 1 - A new start - part 2

In a secluded part of Chambers Lake Park, two people men sparring. There was no sound except the clanging of their blades, and their occasional growls and gasps. Neither was giving in to the other, their moves almost identical in power and strength. But one of the men was older and more experienced. He had also been the one to teach his sparring partner. So he knew his moves before he made them. As a result, the fight abruptly ended when the youngest man found himself lying on the ground, breathless and sweaty. His mentor had tricked him into going in the wrong direction, so he was able to him off balance and send him crashing to the floor.

"Argh! I always get caught by that one." the young man grumbled.

"Because I never do it quite the same way," his mentor explained. "Your technique and drive are flawless. You just have to remember never-"

"Never let the enemy predict my moves. I know." the student said.

"Exactly."

"Well, why do you keep beating me, then?" the younger man said moodily.

"Because I've known you for so long," the mentor answered. "I've told you before. And because I'm the one who taught you your moves, so I know how to block them," he added with a smile.

They sat down in the grass, panting slightly. The mentor checked his watch. That simple gesture seemed odd when he'd just been fighting for an hour.

"I had better go." the young man said, standing up. "My first class is in half an hour."

His mentor nodded and got to his feet too, but before letting his student go, he caught his shoulder and said:

"You know you can't tell them yet. Don't you? Not even her."

 "Of course I do." his student answered, though he didn't meet his eyes. "I said I wouldn't. I don't have to like it."

 "B-"

 "I know why I can't. I still don't like it." he interrupted.

 His mentor sighed. His student was goodhearted and strong, but he was also quite stubborn when he wanted.

 "Alright. You know how to reach me if you need me."

 "Yes," his student answered.

The mentor closed his eyes, and felt his body change. He had used his power to take on a physical form, so he could train his protégé, but was unable to use the rest of what powers he had left when he was in this form. So he preferred to become a spirit again, so he could intervene if necessary. His student watched as his mentor was surrounded by a bright light, and eventually, he reappeared, still the same, except he was no longer flesh and blood, only a spirit.

"Are you ready?"

 "Of course." his student said. "It's only high school. What can happen?"

Andie and the new girl walked down the hall towards their lockers to gather their things for their evening homework.

"Thanks..." said the stranger in a small voice.

"That's okay. He's an idiot, but no one stands up to him. It aggravates me."

To her astonishment, the girl laughed.

"... What?" Andie asked, wondering if she should be offended or not.

"Oh, I'm sorry... I'm not laughing at you... it's just... I don't think I know anyone our age who says aggravates, anymore!"

Andie couldn't resist. She laughed too.

"I'm Isabelle," the stranger said. "Isabelle Woodland."

"Andie Galestone." Andie replied, smiling and holding out her hand.