Chapter 19 - Moving on - part 1

"Andie! Someone from the Washington Center on the phone for you!"

 "Coming, Mom!"

Andie came down to take the call, wondering what it was about.

"Hello, Andie Galestone speaking,"

"Hello, Andie. Bethany Hunt, I work at the Washington Center. I just wanted to tell you that rehearsal for the concert in two weeks is starting right after Thanksgiving."

Andie gaped. She'd completely forgotten about the concert! It was the weekend, and next week was Thanksgiving Break. She'd have to rehearse before that, because she hadn't sung a note in weeks.

"Oh... yeah, thanks for letting me know. Is it at the Washington Center?"

"That's it." Bethany answered. "I believe your classes finish at one?"

"Yes," Andie answered.

"Is three too early for you?"

"Um, no that's fine." Andie said. "Will the rehearsals be everyday?"

"I think so, yes."

"Okay. I'll be there."

"Great. Just go to the front desk, we'll get you sorted."

"Alright. Thanks."

Andie hung up and sighed. She didn't want to let Devil Riot down, especially after they'd picked her over dozens of other girls. But she couldn't say she felt much like singing.

"What was it, honey?" Lauren asked.

"It was about Devil Riot's concert."

"Oh, yes, you're the opening act. When's the concert again?"

"Uh... On December third," Andie said.

Lauren peered shrewdly at her.

"You don't seem too happy about it."

"Oh, no, I am... I'm just a little tired."

And she went to her room before Lauren could question her any more.

Zorak sat in his throne, his breath short. He'd been training for hours to push the limits of his power. His physical abilities were unchanged. But his power, if still remarkable, wasn't quite to its former glory. It'd been slowly coming back ever since the shackles placed by the five original masters had fallen. He'd sacrificed a large portion of it between his last trip to the human world and transferring some to Zarias, but he'd come to notice that each time, his power returned stronger and faster than the last. Now, he was ever closer to the strength he'd had when he'd faced Ardente and the others. Zorak leaned back thoughtfully in his throne. The thought of Ardente and her radiant beauty had once made him feel love. Now, it only aroused bitterness and anger. He would've been far better for her. He would've offered her everything she'd ever wanted and deserved. But she'd chosen to give her heart to the Guardian of Light, the idiot Balon. He'd never understood what Ardente saw in him. But it was of no importance. His infatuation for Ardente had long since left him. But he would'nt waver from his objective. Recreating Earth and taking it as his. If any humans survived, he'd make them his slaves. If they managed to stand the Demon Realm, that was. The only human he'd ever seen here was Zarias. Any contact he'd had with the boy's mother had been in the human world. He got to his feet and looked out the wide window at his realm. The deep red sky, gray and black clouds, ash-colored buildings and ground... it was beautiful. But he wanted a larger kingdom. He was a Demon Lord. He... what was that human idiom? Want it all. That was it. He wanted it all. And Zorak always got what he wanted.

Thanksgiving promised to be both long and short. Long because Andie had to pretend to be happy and grateful, when she didn't really feel either at the moment. She kept thinking of Bane, wishing he was there. She also felt sad for Robert. He was probably sitting alone in his small house, which would feel much emptier without Bane. And even if his neighbors asked him to join them, he probably wouldn't feel like celebrating. She didn't...