Chapter 7 - Toughening up - part 2

"What do you mean, you're not going to the homecoming dance?!"

Jessica's look of shock made Andie sigh. It was Monday lunchtime. Andie and the others were having their meal together as usual. They were in the cafeteria and discussing the same thing as the entire school had been since school had started: the Homecoming dance, to be held that Saturday night. Jessica had been the most overtly enthusiastic about it.

"You can't not come!" Jessica said. "It's just not possible!"

"Jessica, you don't get to tell me what I can or cannot do."

"You know what I mean!" Jessica snapped impatiently, waving her tuna sandwich wildly, sending crumbs fly everywhere. "Why in the world wouldn't you come? It's homecoming, we never miss homecoming!"

"I told you. I don't feel like going alone, and you guys have dates." Andie said. "I'll... I'll work with Ardente, or something."

Jessica didn't look pleased with that idea at all. Which, in Andie's opinion, was kind of ridiculous, since it was her, Andie's choice, not Jessica's.

"It's just a dance, Jess, it won't kill me to miss it."

But, because Jessica would be Jessica, she had to argue, her bright eyes wide and pleading.

"But the dance would be boring without you!"

"You'll barely notice the difference," Andie shrugged. "And like I said, you have dates."

"Isabelle doesn't!" Jessica said.

"She does!" Isabelle protested. "I'm going with Mitch Hallworth from our Chemistry class."

"Well... go with B-Ow!-"

Andie had swung her leg hard and kicked Jessica's shin.

"What was that for?!" Jessica grumbled, leaning down to rub her leg.

It was so Bane didn't hear you! Andie said mentally, glancing to her right.

Bane had arrived a little late and was getting his tray.

Well, he can hear us now, can't he?

Not unless you want him to, Andie corrected. And don't you dare let him hear this!

Okay, okay, calm down, Andie! God... What? He'd be perfect, he's dying to go with you!

Which is exactly why I can't go! Things are already complicated enough, I don't want to make it worse.

She got to her feet and marched off with her things. She crossed Bane as she walked away. They paused as they reached one another.

"Hey, Andie," he said.

"Hey, Bane," Andie said, trying to be casual.

"Is something wrong?" he asked, his eyes briefly moving over to the table.

"Uh... no. No, I just... forgot something in my locker. I'll... I'll see you in class."

She gave him a small smile and walked away without looking back.

The silent hallway was soothing as Andie stood alone, leaning against her locker, music playing in her ears. Why were things so complicated and painful? Or rather, why did it have to be even more so for her? Neither Jessica, Emily or even Isabelle seemed to be having as much trouble making sense of their sentimental lives... if she at least knew what to do... Just then, she heard footsteps. Looking up, she saw Bane leaving the cafeteria. They saw each other. Before Bane had so much as lifted his foot, however, a girl came up to him. She was on the cheerleading team, Andie remembered. Vicki Chase, she thought her name was. Tall, long brown wavy hair, wide brown eyes, perfect style... she was beautiful. Andie wouldn't even dream of comparing herself to Vicki. How could she? There was none to be made. She was shorter, plainer. She didn't even know why she was thinking like that. She quietly removed one earpiece to listen. But they were too far away. Vicki was smiling widely at him, letting her long hair fall on either side of her face, or tucking it behind her ear in mock shyness. Andie was surprised to find that this annoyed her immensely. She couldn't for the life of her think why. Bane was perfectly entitled to speak, see, kiss anyone he wanted-