Chapter 15 - Fresh start - part 1

"You are crazy, do you know that?"

It was the following Monday after school.

"Well, do you have a better idea to get close enough to switch the staffs?"

Emily shook her head.

"So then, I'm auditioning... Let's just hope it works."

"It will. You have an incredible voice," Isabelle said, squeezing her hand. "I'd audition with you, but I'm hopelessly tone deaf."

"And I can't sing. But you can." Emily added.

"... Fine. Come on." Andie sighed.

They made their way to the auditorium where the auditions were taking place. There was already quite a crowd. Some just here to laugh, some really hoping to succeed.

"Okay... I can do this... I did it once... I can do it again." Andie said.

"Sure, you can." Isabelle said.

After a few moments of noisy mess, the head of the drama club, who turned out to be the girl Andie had heard Nora and Ellie talking about, Judy, came onto the stage.

"Hello, everyone and thank you all for coming to this year's drama club auditions. Now, first, we'll let you sing a song of your choosing, and if you get through the first round, you'll be asked to sing a song in pairs to narrow down the more important parts. First up... Nelly Benson."

The first contestant was not very good. Her voice was shaky and she had trouble with the higher notes. The next was worse. She was one of those girls who was certain she had a great voice, but... didn't. Among the thirty or so that tried out, only half were decent, and half of them again were good.

"You're going to be fine," Emily said. "There's no way you won't get through. Unless you choke."

There was an ominous pause.

"Which I probably should not have said..."

"You think?" Andie asked in a tense voice.

Just then, the next candidate was announced.

"Vicki Chase, if you please."

Vicki, her long black glossy hair shining as she climbed onto the stage.

"Hello, there Vicki. What role are you auditioning for?"

"The lead, of course."

"Okay. Let's see what you can do."

There was no doubt they weren't expecting her to be bad. And sure enough, Vicki put on a very good performance. A powerful voice, enticing stage presence... she had more confidence Andie could ever have...

"There is more than one slot," Isabelle reminded Andie. "You don't have to have the lead, just a part. With your voice, you'll be fine."

Andie nodded. She listened to Vicki's cover of Avril Lavigne's What the Hell. It wasn't the easiest song, and she hit every note perfectly

"You can do even better," Isabelle assured.

"Yeah, but she is good..." Emily said.

New ominous glare from Isabelle.

"Not helping, Emily," she said shortly.

Vicki finished.

"And our last candidate... Andie Galestone..."