Chapter 15 - Fresh start - part 2

Andie made her way home a little later and found her parents watching the news in the living room.

"It has been confirmed that someone broke into the Washington State History Museum last night." said the anchorwoman.

Andie froze. Had anyone found out it was them? Had a camera caught them? If it had, her parents would never forgive her... She forced the nerves off her face and stood still, listening to the report.

"But despite many manageable and valuable objects, nothing has been reported missing. Police suspect a practical joke for the thrill of it. But they strongly advise not to try that again, and remind the population that breaking and entering is a felony. After last night, the museum's board decided to double the security detail. The police ask for anyone who might have any information to please step forwards and call the hot line number now appearing on your screen."

"I don't understand people, sometimes," Hank said. "If you're bored, there a million things you can do. Why break into a museum?"

"I'm more surprised they didn't steal anything." Lauren commented. "They had the perfect heist. No camera surveillance footage, no eye witness, no physical evidence... nothing to investigate on."

Andie frowned slightly. The museum hadn't reported anything stolen? How was that possible? Maybe they could have tried to claim so to save face, but the police would have realized that something was missing from that Hermes statue... and they had tried to avoid the cameras but were amazed they had never been so much as glimpsed...

We made sure there was no possible link between the museum and you, Ardente told her. We recreated a copy of the Caduceus and disabled the cameras so nothing can be retrieved from that night.

Andie sighed silently in relief. She didn't like having to do that, but she didn't exactly want to go to prison, or face her parents. And no one had been hurt, so... the police would probably look into it for a while and then close the case for lack of evidence. She quietly slipped out and went to her room.

Andie slept better than she had in a long time that night. Bane was still in a coma of course, and each day she missed him more. But she was also feeling more hopeful. They were finally getting somewhere towards healing him.

"You seem happier today," Hank noticed at breakfast that morning.

"Oh, uh... I... yeah... it's a nice day out."

It was cold but sunny. A glance at the calender told her it was Halloween that night.

"Nice days aren't cold, they're hot," Hannah pointed out with a pout.

Andie couldn't help smiling. Hannah had always hated the cold.

"Yes,, it is a nice day," Hank agreed. "Any news on Bane?"

Talking about Bane was still unpleasant but she knew it wouldn't help to avoid it.

"Not yet." Andie replied. "But I've been thinking he would want me to keep going, you know? He wouldn't want me to wallow."

"Yes, I'm sure he would want you to live your life." Hank agreed.

Andie nodded, but couldn't help thinking it was hard.

"Hey, Andie, are coming trick-or-treating with Dad and me, tonight?" Hannah asked.

That was Hannah. She always had the way of cheering Andie even when she didn't even notice it. Her big eyes and innocent smile would have melted any ice in the world.

"Uh... I don't know. I haven't decided yet." Andie told her.

"Ah, we'll have fun anyway, won't we, Hannah?" Hank smiled, ruffling her hair.