Chapter 6 - Standing the heat - part 1

Andie's palms were sweaty, her heart was hammering and she was terrifyingly aware of Zorak's power and tall, imposing stature. But she kept her feelings as far from her face as possible. However, when he turned around completely to look at her, she only just managed to resist the urge to step back.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, sounding far more confident than she felt.

She had a pretty good feeling she knew. He was after her powers, and if the former masters were right, then he knew who now held them. What other explanation could there be for him being there?

"I think you know. Those fools thought they could evade me... but your power is mine..."

The tiny part of Andie that wasn't terrified noted an accent that would have been British if Andie hadn't known he wasn't human. But before she could say or do anything, a wave of black shadows that moved like water but felt like hands as they flowed around Andie, who couldn't help letting out a gasp as it lifted her effortlessly and pinned her against the wall. The shadows reached up to her face, sending shivers down Andie's body. Zorak leaned forwards.

"Hm... you are the mistress of fire..." he said disdainfully. "What Ardente saw in you to chose you, I'll never know. Although she never was good at chosing. She could have had me... and yet, she chose that idiot Balon."

Andie realised he must have been in love with Ardente too, once upon a time. And he had probably not taken her choosing Balon very well. Who would have thought a demon could actually love? Or as close as it could get to love for a demon.

"Wait," Andie said.

"Why would I wait? I could just kill you now."

"I know. And I'll let you. I just... I want to offer you a deal."

"What, the others against your life?"

"No. I won't betray them. I just want us to agree one one thing: If I let you take my powers, you'll leave my sister? You won't hurt her?"

"You would give your life to spare hers, knowing nothing will stop me from destroying her right after?"

"Yes. Because you have no reason to. She's not involved, she's done nothing to you. And if that doesn't suit you, I'll fight you."

She had a strong feeling it wouldn't be all that helpful, but she didn't say that. Zorak seemed to ponder the question.

"Ardente always was the selfless one, too... I see no reason to refuse." he said finally. "And now... to business."

Some of the shadows moved from her shoulders to her neck, cutting her airflow. She tried to stay still and not show her panic, but it was far from easy. Zorak raised a hand and reached for her forehead.

"Let her go. Now."

Andie, whose breathing was growing shallow, and Zorak turned to where the voice had come from. Bane stood there, holding a long bow which he had now aimed at Zorak.

"Let her go, or I shoot."

"You'll shoot that pathetic metal stick at me? It won't hurt me." Zorak scoffed.

"It's not an ordinary arrow, Zorak. It's infused with Guardian light. It'll pierce right through you and destroy you."

Zorak laughed.

"It didn't work last time, why would it now?" He asked.

"Simple. It has something it didn't last time."

He fired. The arrow shot through the air and lodged itself in his shoulder, causing him to roar in pain and let Andie go. She fell to the floor, spluttering.