Chapter 5 - The new masters - part 2

"So what do you guys make of all that?" Emily asked as they walked back to their cars.

It was almost dark by the time they had finished. Andie had called Hannah to tell her she'd be a little late but not to worry. Hannah could be left alone a few hours. She knew very well not to go into the kitchen alone. Their parents had told them enough times.

"... Honestly, I have no idea..." Andie said, frowning. "I mean it explains a fair bit about what's been going on, but... me, a fire warrior? Or whatever we're supposed to be?"

The confusion was heavy in the air around them. Aside from Bane, none of them showed any sign of understanding any part of this mess. Then, Andie realized something. It proved that his apologetic expression had indeed been connected to this. He seemed to guess her thoughts because he said:

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this sooner... I wanted to, I just couldn't."

"So, what exactly are we?" Jessica asked.

"You're you. Only you possess the powers of fire, water, earth and air."

"And you're our protector, is that it?" Isabelle asked.

"Precisely." Bane nodded.

"So, what are we supposed to do, now? If those demons come back, we're not going to be prepared..." Andie said.

"No, you're not," Bane agreed.

"Hey!" Jessica said. "I can take those things."

"No, he's right," Andie said. "We don't know the first thing about fighting, let alone using our powers."

"Exactly. So I suggest we set a training schedule."

"Who would train us?" Jessica asked.

"Me. And the guardians, probably. Why, d'you have a problem with that?" Bane asked.

"No, just a question," Jessica said. "So..." she added thoughtfully, touching her chin. "You're saying the incarnation of the four elements chose us to take over from them?"

"Yes."

"And we have to fight demons and get super powers?"

"I wouldn't exactly call them super powers," Bane amended, "but that's the gist, I suppose."

Jessica beamed.

"Epic! Do we get to pick cool superhero names too?"

Andie had known Jessica for five years, now, and yet she still marveled at how quickly she changed her mind sometimes. Emily, on the other hand, didn't seem that surprised, though she had known Jessica for longer.

"Jess, we're not super heroes," Emily said. "Heck, I don't even know what this is about, but... I think it's far more complicated that any of us know."

"And I'll try and explain it, but... not tonight." Bane said.

Andie then noticed how exhausted he looked. For some strange reason, she wanted to take his arm. And what was even more curious was that she didn't really know why she didn't do it. Probably because the other girls were there. Yes, that was probably it.

"Oh, come on, you can't just up and leave us like that!" Jessica protested.

"No, he's right. I think that's already a lot to take in, for one night," Andie intervened.

He flashed her a grateful smile and turned towards his car.

"C'mon, Isabelle, I'll drop you off at your house," Jessica said.

"Okay. Bye, guys. We'll see you at school!"

"Sure, bye!"

Slowly, the girls drove off. The dark was quiet, and soothing. The gentle rustling of the trees sounded like music to Andie, who closed her eyes to enjoy it a few seconds. When she opened them again, she realised with a start that Bane and she were the only ones left.