Chapter 17 - The last piece - part 2

After they'd eaten, Andie and Hannah cleaned the dishes and went back to their rooms, where Andie spent a couple of hours working on some of Balon's exercises. She almost missed his controlling attitude. Probably because wherever Balon was, Bane was. After she'd finished, she got to her feet. Her eyes fell on a group picture from her birthday. They were all laughing and just looked... happy. Normal. Andie sighed, wondering if they'd ever feel so carefree again... That reminded her of a conversation she'd had with Bane once, some time ago, while waiting for the girls to join them in the park to train.

"So, what do you do when you aren't training?" Andie asked. "And drawing, of course."

"The same things you guys do," he said. "Read, watch television, go to the movies... even jog, sometimes, though that's more because Balon wants me to."

Andie chuckled.

"But don't you ever feel... nervous? I mean... those demons can attack at any given moment, right?"

"Yes, that's true," Bane agreed. "But I have too many things to live to make that stop me. I mean, you can't live constantly worrying about what might be. You have to live in the present, you know? Just go with things as they come. If you want to eat that extra brownie, do it! If you feel like staying up all night wanting to watch old movies, why shouldn't you?"

"... Because it's not reasonable..."

"What's the fun in always being reasonable?" Bane had smiled. "You have to loosen up, Andie, live a little!"

Andie had to admit she'd never thought of just having fun. She'd been so often told she had to be responsible because she needed to look out for her sister. So she'd had what her mother always called "fun with reason". She'd never let herself do things impulsively... She decided it was time to change that, at least once. She got to her feet, turned on her radio. As the music started, she found herself tapping her foot to the beat. And then, before she knew it, she was dancing around in her room, shoving everything aside and just concentrating on the music. She didn't care what her dancing looked like. She'd not taken many lessons, so probably not much, but no one saw her, so who cared? When the song was finished, she fell back on her bed, panting, but feeling better. It had been nice to just let go, even for a few minutes. She was just getting her breath back, when a scream made her jump.

"Hannah..." Andie gasped.

Had Zarias found a way inside after all?

"HANNAH!" Andie yelled, pelting out of her room and down the stairs.

She found her sister in the kitchen, staring wide eyed at the sink. Looking too, Andie saw why. It was on fire!

"Hannah, get back!" she ordered.

Hannah stepped aside at once as Andie darted to the sink and opened the faucet over the flames, which died down in a matter of seconds. She then saw it was the remainders of a tissue from the box on the counter. Andie turned to her sister.

"What happened, what did you do?"

"Nothing, I swear!" Hannah replied, her eyes still wide. "I just touched it and... I don't know what happened, it just caught fire!"

Andie froze a few seconds. Then, she shook her head to clear her thoughts.

"Are you hurt?" Andie asked.

"No..." Hannah replied, shaking her head.

"Are you sure, let me see your hands..."

Once she was satisfied her sister was indeed unharmed, she sighed with relief.