Chapter 7 - Toughening up - part 1

Andie didn't sleep well that night. She couldn't get Bane's pained face out of her mind. But the problem was she had no idea how to solve the problem... Or rather, she did, but didn't see how she could, since the only solution she could see was for her to feel the same way as Bane... and so far, that wasn't the case... The next morning, she woke tired and upset. She sat up and ran a hand through her hair. Just then, her phone rang. She bit her lip. What if it was Bane? But looking at the screen, she saw it was Isabelle.

“Hey, Isabelle.” she said, trying to sound cheerful.

“Hey, Andie. Bane was saying since it's Sunday, we could do a group training session. You in?”

Andie hesitated. Part of her felt she should train, but the part that was wrestling the “Bane” problem was also fighting that part.

“Uh...”

“I can cover for you, if you want.”

Andie bit her lip. She couldn't do that, it would only hurt Bane's feelings. And it would only delay the problem, not solve it.

“No, it's okay, thanks. I'll be there. Where and when is it?”

“In an hour at Chambers Lake Park."

“Okay, see you there.”

“Later, Andie.”

She put her phone down and got to her feet. Looking at reflection, she sighed. Then, she said:

“I can do this.”

The grey sky cast its muted light on the clearing when Andie walked into it, heading towards Jessica, Bane, Isabelle and Emily. She also saw the former masters too, in their tangible forms. It was easy to figure out why. They would need sparring partners. Bane was talking to Isabelle. He seemed relaxed. Andie took a deep breath as she stepped closer.

“Hey!” Emily called, smiling as she saw Andie. “You made it!”

“Hi,” Andie said, glancing around. “Aren't we going to stand out a little, here? Draw attention?”

“No, I drew a light circle,” Bane said. “It won't keep Zorak out if he turns up, but his demons won't get through.”

“Now everyone's here, we can start,” Balon said.

And so, they all paired up and began practicing basic movements much like those Bane had shown Andie the day before. Ardente was a very patient and supportive tutor. In fact, Andie noticed, Bane was the only one whose mentor was not like that. Balon was fair, but he was so much more... distant than the others. She wondered if it was to not let his feelings influence his decisions.

“Andie!”

“Oh... sorry...”

“You need to concentrate,” Ardente said patiently. “Focus is crucial in a fight.”

“I know, I'm sorry... I...”

Her eyes flashed briefly to Bane, who had his back to her.

“... Is something the matter between you?”

“Yes... no... I don't know. I mean, we haven't fought or anything but...”

“But he doesn't share your feelings?” Ardente guessed.

“No... that's not it.”

She looked guiltily at Bane.

“... The problem is I don't share his feelings... and it really isn't fair.”