Chapter 13 - Finding a way - part 1

From looking through her book at night, Andie took to going to the museum, usually wearing different disguises to not look suspicious, and not too often. She soon knew it well enough that she could navigate without looking at the signs, and she found a map of the museum in the brochure. It wasn't very detailed, but it would have to do. But there was no denying that this would be tricky. They would never get out if they were caught... and even her parents wouldn't be able to keep her or her friends from prison... they wouldn't be allowed to get involved, because she was their daughter... not to mention they would never forgive her for doing something like that.

"Andie, you do realize what you're planning on doing?" Ardente said for what felt like the thousandth time.

"Of course I do." Andie said without looking at her. "But it's either that or waiting for Bane to wake up, and that could take years..."

She paused to look up at her.

"He deserves to live a normal life, not one with a gaping hole in it." she said.

"He deserves it or you can't stand waiting that long?" Ardente asked.

Andie was so shocked she didn't answer at once.

"Are you actually asking me that?" she eventually asked, outraged.

"I'm just trying to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons..."

Andie got to her feet slowly.

"My only reason is Bane. I don't care what happens to me, I just want him to live."

"Andie..." Ardente began.

"I have to try, Ardente." Andie replied coldly. "Okay? It's my fault he's in a coma, so I will try all I can to save him."

She closed her book, shut down her laptop and went to bed.

In the Demon, Realm, Zorak was not happy. Not happy at all. In fact, he was downright infuriated. And even that was the understatement of the millennium, Zarias was sure. His eyes were blacker than the darkest night. His face was paler than the ash on the ground. And those were never good signs. Zarias had returned and given him his report. A report which was far from satisfactory. He had failed to bring back the powers of fire and light. He could hardly believe his ears.

"How could that have failed? They were at your mercy!" he said, annoyed. "My power should have been more than sufficient to subdue them!"

"I know that, father..." Zarias said, his head bowed. "And I subdued the light guardian, and severely wound him, I believe, for he is still being tended to... But the fire guardian suddenly tapped into her power in a way I didn't expect, and I thought it more prudent to retreat and plan a better way to get her power..."

"Hm. You acted as a coward, you mean." Zorak said ruthlessly.

 Zarias tried hard not to flinch.

"But no matter." Zorak said patiently. "The light guardian is down for the count, rendering them all more vulnerable."

"You wish for me to take his power while he cannot stop me?" Zarias asked.

"No. It is much more rewarding when they can fight back. But keep an eye on the four other guardians. They will doubtless look for some way of healing their friend."

"Yes, father. I'll get on it immediately." Zarias said an hurried off.

"No need. My Umbras have been working on it already." Zorak said.

As if they had heard him, a couple of black shadows slithered in.

"What do they say?" Zorak demanded of Zarias.