Chapter 14 - A new mission - part 2

"This is just great..." Emily said the next morning as they waited for the bell. "How are we going to look for the staff without anyone noticing?"

It was the middle of October. The wind blew around them, and people were chattering cheerfully around them. They tried not to show their feelings on their faces, as everyone else was so chipper, it could draw unwanted attention.

"I have no idea..." Andie sighed. "And we have to be careful with Zorak watching us..."

"Yeah... especially if Jessica's out..." Isabelle said, looking ahead.

Her long hair in a dark braid, Jessica came into view a few feet away, her bag on her shoulder. Andie was slightly surprised. She only ever tied up her hair when she was upset about something. Was the fight still in her mind, too? They looked at each other, but Jessica turned away and walked on.

"She'll come round." Emily said confidently.

Andie readjusted her scarf. It was October twenty-fifth. It was getting colder. Halloween was just a few days away. One couldn't miss it because the stores had put up pumpkins, spiders and candy all over their front windows. When she was a little girl, Andie had loved Halloween. But neither she nor her friends felt much like celebrating, at the moment.

"Let's hope so."she said.

Andie hated fighting with Jessica. She half had a mind to go apologize, but Isabelle had told her she had done what she'd thought best, and Jessica had to understand that and make the first move. Not to mention – though she kept it to herself – that she was a little worried of how Jessica might react if she went up to her now.

"I've tried to talk to her," Emily said. "But every time I mention Andie, she changes the subject or shuts me out."

That was exactly like Jessica. If something annoyed Jessica Leighton, then you didn't talk about it. At all. You didn't ever bring it up unless she accepted to do it. If you insisted, she could unleash her wrath on you.

"I'm sorry she's taking it out on you two as well..." Andie said sadly.

"Don't worry about it, she just needs a little space." Emily promised. "We had fights like this before we met you, and they always worked out."

Isabelle took Andie's arm and rested her head on her shoulder. Andie sighed. Emily was right. Surely their friendship was stronger than one fight...?

"Come on, we should get going, class is about to start..." she said finally.

The morning went on in a mixture of weariness from the cold and excitement from the upcoming holidays. Andie was also glad they were soon on holiday. She would be able to focus on getting the Caduceus back together before Zorak found the pieces. And her first chance to do that came that very morning, during break. She was making her way to her next class when she heard two members of the drama club talking. Andie thought their names were Ellie and Nora.

"Hey, did you see Judy, this morning?" Nora asked.

Nora was a dark haired girl with glasses. Ellie, on the other hand was taller, had light brown hair and a pink headband. They were putting up posters for that year's end of year play. They held auditions every year for the whole school to give it a try.

"I did, she was in a right state." Ellie answered with a frown.

"Oh, how come?" Nora asked in surprise.

"Well, she was in the prop room this morning, and she swears she found this weird staff that she's never seen before."

"Maybe it's just new," Nora suggested.