Chapter 3 - "The circle has been formed"- part 1

"Now you be good, okay, Hannah? And listen to your sister."

It was Friday afternoon. Lauren and Hank were getting ready to leave for a three day legal conference in Santa Monica.

"Yes, mom." Hannah assured.

"Don't worry, we'll be fine. It's just three days." Andie said.

"Yes, I suppose that's true."

"There's lasagna in the fridge for tonight," Lauren said. "and money in the dresser for emergencies, the emergency numbers by the phone and-"

"I can call at any time." Andie recited. "I know. Guys, relax. I've been on my own with Hannah before. We'll be fine."

 Hank and Lauren looked at each other.

"We're really sorry this has to happen the same weekend as your birthday..." Lauren said.

Sure enough, Andie was to turn eighteen that Saturday. She wasn't thrilled either, but she didn't want them to feel guilty all weekend, so she forced a smile and said:

"I promise, we'll celebrate next weekend." she said.

"Yeah, that'll be great. Don't worry about it. I'll probably just stay in and watch a few movies or something."

Emily, Jessica and Isabelle all had plans for the weekend. And she'd thought it would be strange to ask Bane without the others. Send the wrong messages.

"Well, call if you need anything, then. Alright?" Hank said.

"Dad..." Andie sighed.

"I know, I know, I'm being overcautious. We have to go, I love you, be safe."

He kissed her forehead and climbed into the car. Lauren turned to kiss her daughters too.

"Love you too." she said.

She joined her husband in the car and they drove off. Andie hoisted Hannah onto her hip and squeezed her tightly. She knew her little sister hated it when their parents left. Not that Andie wasn't capable of watching her, but a sister isn't a mother, even a ten year old knew that. Hannah waved as the car turned a corner and disappeared as it headed towards the airport.

"Andie?"

"What is it?" she asked.

"Mom and Dad will come back, won't they?"

"Of course they will, they'll be back before you know it."

Hannah didn't look completely convinced, but said nothing.

"Okay... come on, down you go. I have to get that homework out of my hair."

"Are you going out tomorrow?" Hannah asked.

"What? No, why?"

"... Well, it's your birthday, isn't it?"

"Well, yes, but Mom and Dad aren't here."

"You could go with your friends, couldn't you?"

"They're all busy with other things," Andie answered. "And I couldn't leave you alone."

"I'm ten, I can take care of myself!"

Andie laughed.

"In your dreams, maybe. But for now, I'm in charge. Come on, I'm pretty sure you have homework too."

Hannah didn't seem very enthusiastic but let her sister lead her inside all the same. Eventually, they both finished their homework, and Andie set about making bolognese pasta, which was what she always did once when her parents were away because it was Hannah's favorite and was the most efficient way to make her feel better.