Chapter 8 - Preparing for what's to come - part 1

The girls decided to take just one car, since they were all going to the same place: the Westfield Capital Shopping Center on Black Lake Boulevard. Jessica would hear of nothing else when it came to shopping.

“Oh, and we have to find you an outfit for Friday, as well,” Jessica said next to Andie, who was driving.

They had met up at Andie's car after school that Tuesday afternoon. It wasn't raining, but the sky was a pale gray above them as they made their way through the streets.

“Jess, I have plenty of perfectly acceptable outfits, thanks,” Andie said.

Friday was the day of the audition for the concert that winter. Andie had been working on several songs, not yet sure which one to chose. Ardente tried to help, but she had next to know musical knowledge.

“I know, I know.” Jessica said impatiently. “But you need to look perfect!”

Andie rolled her eyes without looking at Jessica, who had already jumped on to another subject. Andie had thought about asking Balon if he wanted to come along, but had thought he probably saw enough of them as it was. After all, he and Balon were the only men in the group. Eventually, they reached the parking lot, stopped and climbed out. Andie tightened her jacket around her and followed the others to the elevator.

“So, where do we start?”

“You called, father?”

“I did, Zarias,” Zorak said thoughtfully. “How long has it been since my powers vanished?”

“Almost twenty years, father.” Zarius replied.

“Yes, indeed. Even to us demons, twenty years sounds like quite a long time, doesn't it?”

Zarius merely shrugged, unconcerned.

“Now, my problem is that I do not wish to have to wait another twenty years to obtain what I want.” Zorak continued.

“No, I suppose you wouldn't,” Zarius agreed.

“I first intended to let the new masters of nature embrace and master their abilities before striking”, Zorak went on, standing up and pacing. “But I have grown weary of waiting. One could argue that I have waited twenty years already, a few more months wouldn't make much difference. Well, even as immortals, our patience has its limits. And I am beginning to feel that mine are on the brink of being reached.”

“What is it you want me to do?” Zarias asked.

“We will not attack them immediately.” Zorak decided after a moment. “That would be pointless. We shall test them, first. See how they fare. And we shall see from there.”

“Do you want me to carry out the tests personally?”

“No.” his father answered. “No, it is a little too early for that. We shall send them the Umbras. They will be enough to begin with.”

“Very well, father. I shall see that it is done.”

He bowed once more and marched out, the sound of his footsteps echoing ominously in the wide, empty throne room.

Andie managed to relax and put all the drama about Bane and her powers aside for a while. Although, that was probably also because she had to keep an eye on Jessica who was on a rampage. In just ten minutes, she'd found shoes for the four of them. Or, she'd chosen four for them, but they weren't quite as sure.