Chapter 11 - Bad just got worse - part 2

At long last, the final bell rang. Andie got up and forced herself not to run out of the classroom, because that would be strange. And as eager as she was to get started on her research. She made her way to the library, but before she went in, she called the hospital. Bane was stable, but there was no change, no sign that he would wake up any time soon. Andie had expected that, but it was a heavy blow nonetheless. She took a few deep breaths and went to the library.

“Oh, hello, Andie, how are you?”

“I'm fine, thanks, how are you?”

“Oh, I'm fine. I'll be glad when Elliot arrives, though,” she smiled.

Andie couldn't help smiling too. Soon, a baby would be born, and you couldn't not be happy about that.

“When is he due?” she asked.

“If all goes well, next week,” Mrs Philipson answered. “I should already be on leave, but my replacement can no longer come, so we're struggling to find a new one... In fact, I must give the principal a call to see how that's doing... excuse me.”

She walked off carefully, leaving Andie alone. She immediately began searching through the rows for books that might help her. It took almost fifteen minutes, but she found one, entitled Myths, Legends and their secrets. She took the book, went to find the nearest table and sat down to read.

Not wanting to miss a single word, she read the book carefully from cover to cover. So far, nothing seemed like it would be much help. Plus, she had no way of telling if any of this was real... of course, her power was very real, as had been the attacks over the past weeks, and Bane's coma was painfully real as well. So she had to keep trying. She was so caught up in it she didn't see the time go by. She was about ten chapters in when a voice interrupted and made her jump.

“Andie? Is everything alright? Forgive me, I didn't mean to startle you.”

Mrs Philipson was standing next to her.

“No, no... it's fine.” Andie said.

“I'm sorry, but I have to close, now.”

Andie glanced at the clock and saw it was almost six o'clock. Shad been here for the past two and a half hours!

“Oh... right, of course... sorry. I'll go put this back and head out...”

“If you want, you can borrow it. You seemed really enthralled by it.”

“Really? Thanks a lot, Mrs Philipson. Bye!”

“Bye, Andie.” The librarian smiled as Andie hurried off.

She clutched the book against her chest, her bag swinging against her shoulder. She reached her car and drove off, the book safely in her bag.

“Andie? Is that you?”

 “Yes, sorry I'm late, Mom,” Andie called as she closed the door. “I wanted to finish a bit of homework. I needed a book from the library and lost track of time.”

 "That's okay. Did you get the help you wanted?”

 “... Not quite, but I'm closer than I was.” Andie said.

 She hated lying, so she tried to be as truthful as possible without saying too much so as to not risk slipping up. Of course, it was still not easy. But it was better than completely lying and ending up getting lost in them so you could never make it out without causing serious damage.