Chapter 18 - Everything changes - part 1

Zarias stood in the shadows on top of a building, using the darkness to remain invisible. He was watching the humans walk and drive past him unaware of his presence. It was strange how they were all in the same place but didn't even seem to pay attention to one another. But then, he would probably have done the same. After all, why would they give a stranger any notice? He wondered how this world functioned without a king. The Demon Realm was more orderly, that was for certain. His father had done an admirable job of ruling it. And he was certain he, Zarias would do just as well... if his father would give him a chance... but he never gave him the interest he felt he deserved. And it irked him. All his childhood he had moved Hell and Earth to please him, and he'd never had more than a "good, son, do it again." or "not bad. Again, and do it better this time". And never showed any ounce of affection. Even when he called him son, it sounded cold. He leaned back, thinking about how regal he would look in a royal attire. A long black cape, a velvet collar, an obsidian crown and staff... They would bring out his gray eyes nicely, he was sure. Yes. He would make a fine ruler. If he was just given his chance. And then it hit him. He could be king. Yes, it was absolutely possible. If Zorak was recreating the Earth to resemble the Demon Realm, he could take over either one of them. His father could rule one, and he would take over the other. He was sure his father couldn't refuse him that. He might have been a nigh all-powerful demon lord, but he couldn't rule two worlds at once. And what had he spent his life training him, Zarias, for if it wasn't so that could eventually take his place? It was only logical, wasn't it? His father might have been immortal, but why would he have gone through all that trouble, otherwise?

The girls didn't speak as they walked out of the room and left the hospital. Isabelle had meant to go after Andie when she'd run off, but Jessica had stopped her. None of them understood what had happened or why the Caduceus hadn't worked. There had been absolutely no sign of any change in Bane's condition.. After all they'd been through, it seemed really unfair. They were too upset and shocked to even ask the former masters what they thought. They eventually found Andie leaning against the car, her eyes bright and staring into the darkening horizon. She wasn't crying, she just looked lost and empty. If anything, that was worse. It had gotten darker thanks to the rain clouds coming in. It would probably rain, soon, and nightfall was near. The girls glanced at each other, unsure what to do.

"Andie...?"

Glancing up, Andie saw her friends walk towards her, looking hesitant.

"Sorry for running off like that..." Andie said.

"No, it's alright, we understand," Isabelle answered. "Are you okay?"

Andie sighed.

"I don't know..." she said finally. "I mean, I was so focused on getting the Caduceus and healing Bane, I never even considered it might not work..."

The girls weren't sure what to say or to think.

"Maybe it just needs a little time to work," Emily suggested.

Andie shook her head unhappily.

"I don't think so." she said. "Maybe it was just too much for the Caduceus..."

"So what do we do now...?" Emily asked.

None of the girls had an answer.

"I don't understand, it should have worked..." River answered, frowning in confusion. "The Caduceus is immensely powerful..."

"Not enough, apparently..."

"I'm sorry, Andie..." River said.

Andie exhaled and shook her head:

"Don't worry, River, it's not your fault... you were really helpful..."

"I wish we could do something..." Aera said next to River.