Chapter 9 - The turning point - part 2

Jessica called Andie about ten times the next day, wanting to discuss their outfits and preparations.

"Jess, how do you expect me to be ready on time if you keep calling me?" Andie asked with a laugh.

"I know, but I need your advice!"

"You asked for my advice on your shoes, your earrings and makeup!" Andie said, rolling her eyes in amusement. "What now?"

"My dress."

"What? Jess, you chose your dress, the one you bought at the mall!"

"Oh, I know..." Jessica said. "But now I'm not sure."

"Jess, that dress you bought looks amazing on you, why wouldn't you wear it?"

"What if Ben sees it and he hates it?"

"Why would he?"

"I don't know, he could hate purple!"

"You'd know if he did by now, wouldn't you?" Andie pointed out. "You guys have been together three weeks, surely something like that would have come up..."

"I guess..."

"Look, just relax. If anyone should be nervous, it's me."

"What? Why? You're going with Bane!"

"Exactly my point," Andie replied. "Unlike you, I am not going out with Bane."

"Oh, come on, you said yes because part of you wanted to." Jessica said.

It was getting a little tiresome to have everyone sound like they knew her so much better than she did.

"Look, I don't know what I want," she said, a little annoyed as she ran a hand through her hair. "Anyway, Hannah's calling. I'll see you tonight."

"Okay. Bye, Andie."

"Bye, Jessica."

She hung up and rubbed the back of her neck, only then realizing that Jessica had said almost the same thing that Ardente had the night before.

After helping Hannah with a book report her mother had insisted she do sooner rather than later, Andie got up to her room, finished her own homework so she could have peace on Sunday, and proceeded to getting ready. She was just sliding on her necklace when there was a quiet knock on her door.

"Who is it?" Andie asked.

"It's me, Hannah!" her sister's little voice answered.

"Come in, Hannah," she smiled.

The door opened to reveal her little sister.

"Wow...!" Hannah gasped when she saw Andie. "You look amazing!"

"Thanks, Hannah," Andie smiled.

"I wish I could come..." Hannah sighed haplessly.

"You'll go to your own homecoming, and prom, and all the other dances. Just not yet."

Andie glanced at the clock. It was almost seven o'clock. Had she taken that long to get ready? Lauren called Hannah, so she left the room.

"She's right, you know," came Ardente's voice as she appeared. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," Andie said, more out of principle than because she actually believed that.

Keeping her phone within reach in case someone came up, Andie and Ardente used the time to try and bond a little more. Andie had indeed come to realize they spoke more of their powers than themselves. Well, aside from Andie's conundrum with Bane.