Chapter 17 - The last piece - part 1

Andie was nervous all the way back, clutching the pendant in her coat pocket, feeling its warmth despite the cold. She would only be safe when she was in her room. But even if she was nervous that Zarias would come, Andie felt better that evening. She felt hopeful. She would use her pendant again the next morning, and they could go have a look with the girls and plan from there.

"Okay, we'll be heading home," Isabelle said.

"Yeah. Thanks so much for your help today," Andie answered.

"Don't mention it," Emily smiled.

"Yeah, what are friends for?" Jessica grinned, wining.

Andie smiled and they went their separate ways.

"Call me when you get home," Andie told them.

"Will do!" they promised.

Andie waved as they drove away and headed up to her room. She then pulled the staff from under her bed and placed the pendant next to it. They glowed slightly but didn't move or interact in any other way. But they were connected, that much was obvious. Andie quickly hid them under her bed as her mother called behind the door.

"Andie"

"Yes?" Andie called quickly checking both the staff and snakes were out of sight.

Lauren peered round the door.

"Dinner is ready."

"Great. I'm coming," Andie said.

They walked down to the living room, where Andie set the table. They enjoyed a peaceful evening. Even Hannah was more her usual cheerful self. This was what soothed Andie most, she realized as she lay in bed that night. She had been worried Hannah would have trouble getting over the Halloween incident, and was relieved to see it didn't seem to be the case. But she would feel better when Bane was back to normal...

I'll get the last piece, Bane... I promise... Andie thought as she fell asleep.

Andie looked up at the sky next morning as she climbed out of her car. It was a little cloudy, but not rainy. She slid her bag onto her shoulder and locked the car before walking across the parking lot towards the school entrance. It was oddly quiet today, Andie noted as she passed other students... although, it was early, people were probably just still sleepy... yes, that was it. She looked around for Jessica, Isabelle and Emily, but couldn't see them.

Hmm... that's odd... Andie thought with a frown. They're usually easy to find... oh, well. Jessica's probably late, and Isabelle probably dragged poor Emily to the library for some early studying before class...

It was getting a little cold, so she decided to go look for the girls at the library. She swung by their lockers on the way, just in case they had already left. But they were nowhere to be seen. It was strange. She tried to call them, only to see that its battery was flat. Which meant her phone was currently useless.

Great... she grumbled as she put it away. Must have forgotten to charge it last night, and now I can't call them...

She looked around, but still couldn't see them.

It's weird... where are they?

She checked the library anyway. There were a few students studying, though given their nervous expressions, Andie had a feeling they had a test very soon, and hadn't studied much. Although she had to admit, she'd done that occasionally, herself. With all the training, she'd sometimes been too exhausted to do her homework and had had to rush it the next morning. She only just managed to keep her grades steady. And Jessica, Emily and Isabelle had often complained about how they were struggling to keep up with their homework, too. After scouting the library, where she couldn't find any of her friends either, she sighed and figured she'd just meet them at lunch. She left the library and stepped into the hallway. Looking to her right, she stopped dead in her tracks. There, standing in the hallway, searching his locker, was Bane.