Chapter 5 - The new masters - part 1

“You're joking. This has to be a prank. That's just not possible!”

“Tell me you didn't feel instantly connected to Emily the day you decided to become friends,” Bane challenged calmly.

Andie watched Jessica open her mouth to argue, close it again, and glare at him.

“Explain.” she demanded.

“We're the incarnations of the elements. And the element that chose you will be the one that you dreamed of.” Bane said.

“How do you...” Andie began.

“I had one too. I am the guardian. The protector. Which is why I know these things.”

“Why tell us now? Why not when we first met?”

“We were hoping we wouldn't need to,” said a voice behind Andie.

Looking around, Andie saw an older man, though not by much, wearing black, step into view.

“This is Balon... the former Guardian of Light.” Bane said. “He's the one who taught me everything.”

“As for why we didn't tell you earlier, it was because we were hoping it wouldn't be necessary. We couldn't destroy Zorak entirely, so we locked his powers away. The circle was broken so long as you weren't all in the same place. Now you are, and have had simultaneous contact, the circle is formed... and Zorak's power was restored.”

Jessica gulped, but tried to keep her fear off her face.

“Wait... Zorak as in... the demon who tried to destroy you?” she asked.

“The same,” Balon said bluntly. “And with what happened with Adrianna last night..."

“What?” Emily asked, “what happened?”

“Nothing serious,” Andie said, glancing warningly at Balon.

“A demon attacked her and Bane,” Balon said, ignoring her.

“What?!” Jessica squawked. “And you didn't say anything? Why?”

“Because I didn't know you were involved too,” Andie explained. “But when I saw those notes... it was obvious what they meant...”

“So that's why you took off and how you knew they were from the same person...” Isabelle realized.

Andie looked at her and nodded.

“So, now we are all in the know,” Balon said, the only question remaining is who was chosen by which element.”

He looked at Jessica, who frowned.

“... This is ridiculous. I'm only humoring you, okay?” she warned. “Well... the last thing I remember is... I was standing at the top of a mountain, and looking around, with flowers growing with my every step... I felt peaceful and strong... it was weird but... good at the same time.”

“That sounds like Terra, the protector of earth.” Balon said, with what sounded like a hint of nostalgia in his tone.

It seemed like they'd all experienced the same thing, Andie realized.

“... I had a dream about swimming a few nights ago...” Isabelle said. “And... it felt really good, but weird at the same time... And I could see myself floating underwater...”

“Then you were chosen by River,” Balon said. “She and the water were like one being."

He turned to Emily.

“Uh... I dreamed I was flying... And I could hear singing in the wind... It was beautiful...”

At this, Balon frowned slightly.