Chapter 16 - Challenges and half truths - part 2

"So, once we've got the staff, we still have one problem," Emily told them that morning.

The girls were sitting in the corner of the cafeteria, which was even noisier than it had been because the weather was steadily getting colder. There had been no snow so far, but she was sure it wouldn't be long.

"Which is what?" Jessica asked.

"Well, even if Andie gets the staff, we still don't have the snakes to go with it."

That was going to be a problem, they all knew it.

"I know... and I don't know the woman well, so I have no idea how to convince her to let me borrow the necklace... and I don't want to steal it..."

Andie thought a moment.

"Hold on..." she said after a while. "She seemed to live alone, didn't she? She wasn't young, so if she had children, they probably left the house. Maybe if we spend a little time with her she'll agree... It could be that she's just lonely."

"It's worth a try." Isabelle agreed.

"Okay... as soon as we've got the staff, we'll get onto the snake."

"Well, before we do that, we have that darn essay to finish..." Jessica sighed.

"We'll work on it during our study period," Andie promised, before yawning widely.

"Are you okay? You look exhausted." Isabelle commented.

"Yeah, I think this constant training, fighting and lying is getting to me..." Andie sighed. "I'll be glad when this is over."

"Tell me about it," Emily agreed. "I'm even getting rash on my b-"

"Whoa, way too much information, there, Em," Andie interrupted with a nervous laugh. "Anyway. First, the staff, then the snake."

Andie kept it from her friends, but the approaching of the rehearsal made her increasingly nervous. If Zarias did come, she wasn't sure she would be able to hold him off. And unlike her, he wouldn't care about keeping out of sight from anyone in the school. But she had to do it. Isabelle had been dizzy from just healing superficial wounds. If she tried healing a coma, it could make her sick or even fall into a coma. And if Zarias came back, they wouldn't be any further than before. But she also knew she would not have much of a chance against Zarias, especially alone.

Well, thinking about it will only make you more and more nervous, she told herself firmly, so stop it! You held your own against him once, you can again...

She tried to think how she had done that. She figured her pain and anger at Zarias had somehow fueled her power. But she couldn't do that in the prop room, it could set fire to the school... She would just have to work her way around him somehow... She had too much to fight for to fail now. At long last (or all too soon, she couldn't tell), the final bell echoed through the school. Andie took a few deep breaths.

Ardente? Is there any sign of Zarias?

Not as far as I was able to tell, Ardente replied. But that doesn't mean he's not around.

I know... that's what worries me.

Maybe you should get the other girls to go with you... Ardente suggested in concern.

No, Andie replied, shaking her head. After the other night, I don't think there would be a difference between me being alone and them being with me. It would only mean more people getting hurt...

I suppose that's true...Ardente agreed.

Andie had reached the door to the auditorium.

"Okay..."Andie whispered to herself. "Time to face the music."