Chapter 14 - A new mission - part 1

They girls exchanged stunned looks. Andie fell to her knees, and just stared at the spot where the staff had vanished. It was gone, as was their best chance at healing Bane. Andie didn't think she'd ever felt so betrayed. All those efforts, all that pain, all those risks... just to end up with... nothing? How was that fair?

"No... it can't... no, this isn't happening..." she whispered.

"I'm sorry, Andie..." Jessica argued quietly. "But it is..."

"But it can't!" Andie insisted, her eyes stinging. "The Caduceus was our only chance to help Bane!"

The girls looked helplessly at each other, unable to come up with a helpful response.

"We have to get out..." Emily said eventually, touching her shoulder. "The security guards could return any minute..."

Andie breathed in to keep herself from crying, and nodded. They didn't know how long it would be before the guards came back, so they had to be careful. They went as quickly as they could to find a window to climb out of. They only opened from the inside to avoid... infiltrations. As they reached one, Emily saw one of the guards lying unconscious on the floor.

"Is he okay?" Jessica asked.

"Yes, he's only sleeping..." Emily answered after a closer look.

"Zarias must have knocked them out when he came..." Isabelle said.

"Come on, let's move... this place is giving me goosebumps..." Jessica said.

Andie followed as they found a window.

"Hold on," Isabelle said when Emily meant to open the window. "Use your gloves, so we don't leave any prints."

"Oh, right."

She slipped them on and pried the window open. The others followed after pulling their own on. The moment they'd set foot outside, Jessica pushed the window closed and they ran towards the car.

Like the first time, the trip was silent, but this time it was more out of tiredness and disappointment. Andie looked out the window, carefully avoiding her friends' eyes. She knew she'd see pity in them, and she didn't want to. A glance at her watch told her it was almost six. They had been in there only under an hour. It hadn't felt that long... She lay her head against the window. A hand slid around hers and squeezed it. She peered up and saw Emily try and give her an encouraging half-smile. She tried to smile back, but quickly went back to staring thoughtfully out the window at the night.

"Is everyone okay?" Isabelle finally asked.

They nodded. Thankfully, no one had been hurt. Or at least not physically.

"Does anyone mind if we go to the mall? I'm dying for a pick me up," Jessica said.

It was still early, and the shops would most likely be open. Andie didn't care, the others didn't mind. So Isabelle set off for the mall. And Andie found it was nice to be among the cheerful shoppers, it helped her feel a little less depressed. Jessica was soon her cheerful self again, of course, and had soon found a brand new pair of shoes she didn't need. They watched her look around excitedly,both admiring and exasperated at her ability to just act like the last two hours hadn't happened. She was the only one who bought anything. They eventually stopped to have a soda because Jessica insisted she was "thirstier than the Sahara Desert". After she had quenched her thirst, they made their way out. They decided to go to the Soda Fountain as planned rather than impose on Isabelle's parents. They sat down in silence, feeling upset and defeated.

"Hullo there, me darlin's," Siobhan said "What can I get you all, tonight?"

They gave their orders in a subdued tone.