Chapter 16 - Challenges and half truths - part 1

Andie had always dreaded that this would happen. Zarias being there while her sister was with her. Risking her life was one thing, but her sister's? That was not an option. But what were they going to do? They couldn't fight him there, or they would risk exposing their powers to the whole neighborhood, not to mention endanger it... And yet, she knew he had to have some reason for being there at that precise moment.

 “What should we do?” Emily asked.

“First, we should go see what he wants.” Andie said after thinking a moment. “Jessica, you're with me. Isabelle, Emily... watch Hannah."

“Wait, are you crazy?!” Emily exclaimed in a low voice so . “What if he attacks you?”

“Look, he has to be here for a reason, Emily. We have to find out what. And I can't risk Hannah getting caught in the cross fire. I need you guys to stay with her.”

The girls nodded, even though a little reluctantly. Andie stepped forwards, Jessica right beside her. Zarias stood casually beside a tree.

“Well, well, the angels of war descend,” he said.

“What do you want?” Andie asked.

She wanted to cross her arms but didn't to keep them free in case things turned nasty.

“What, can a man not enjoy a clear, starry night?”

“Don't give me that.” Jessica retorted sharply. “Zorak sent you, didn't he? I suppose he's not very happy with you, is he, having failed to catch us so many times!”

Andie wasn't sure angering him was such a good idea, but wanted to keep focused on Zarias. She was trying to think what to do. Fighting him head on was dangerous but he was smart, which meant any confrontation against him was risky.

“You know I am stronger than you. I was raised to fight. I am the son of the Demon Lord, while you are merely humans.”

“Merely human, maybe. But we have still escaped you every time you've come after us.” Andie told him. “And let me tell you: I will not let you anywhere near my sister. So don't you even think about touching her.”

Zarias laughed.

“Your sister? That child over there hiding behind your friends? What interest would she hold for me?”

Andie didn't answer. But that meant that in theory, he wouldn't harm her as long as they were around. He'd just said so, he had no reason to.

“So what d'you want from us?”

“Well, ideally, you to surrender and come with me. Your sister can leave, naturally.”

“Like-”

“And if we don't?” Andie asked, quickly cutting across Jessica.

“Oh, I think you know why what will happen if you don't,” Zarias said pleasantly. “I will have to subdue you by force.”

“Go to Hell.”

Jessica pointed her hand to the ground and shouted:

“Strength of Earth!”

A giant fist shot out of the ground, but Zarias stopped it with his hand. It shattered, and he turned to Jessica with a flicker of his hand and sent her flying backwards.

“Jessica!” Andie cried.

She turned back to Zarias and decided to go for a more physical approach. She first aimed a spurt of flames at him to distract him then ran towards him and threw her leg up as hard as she could into his side, knocking him aside. Of course, that, again, was not enough. He easily steadied himself and counterattacked. Andie's training kicked in and she did her best to keep him from hitting her where it would send her to the floor. But he had years of training whereas she only had weeks. She managed to keep her defense up but not long. She was knocked backwards and hit a tree. Zarias raised his hand, but Jessica came crashing into him.