13

AS ARIA SAT IN HISTORY OF MAGIC listening to Professor Binns dwell on and on as he lectured on the International Warlock Convention of 1289

AS ARIA SAT IN HISTORY OF MAGIC listening to Professor Binns dwell on and on as he lectured on the International Warlock Convention of 1289. Aria rested her chin on her palm taking small notes of what the ghost said as Hermione's hand shot up in the air causing him to stop.
"Miss -- er---?" he trailed off calling on the girl.
"Granger, Professor. I was wondering if you could tell us anything about the Chamber of Secret," she concluded in a clear voice.
"My subject is History of Magic," Binns blinked quiet surprised in a wheezy voice "I deal with, facts, Miss Granger, not myths and legends. In September of that year, a subcommittee of Sardinian sorcerers --"

Furrowing her eyebrows at the explanation Aria exchanged a quick look with the girl before raising her own hand in the air causing the professor to come to a halt in his reading.
"Miss --"
"Anderson, don't legends always have a basis in fact?"

Professor Binns stared at the girl in amazement as Aria blankly stared back while the ghost looked between the two girls who stared at him in wonderment sitting tall waiting with anticipation.

"Well," Binns stated slowly "yes, one could argue that, I suppose. However, the legend of which you speak is such a very sensational, even ludicrous tale--"

Every student was hanging onto to the professors words and noticing this Binns continued on, "Oh very well. Let me see... the Chamber of Secrets... You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago — the precise date is uncertain — by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. The four school Houses are named after them: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution. For a few years, the founders worked in harmony together, seeking out youngsters who showed signs of magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated. But then disagreements sprang up between them. A rift began to grow between Slytherin and the others. Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. He disliked taking students of Muggle parentage, believing them to be untrustworthy. After a while,there was a serious argument on the subject between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Slytherin left the school. Reliable historical sources tell us this much, but these honest facts have been obscured by the fanciful legend of the Chamber of Secrets. The story goes that Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in the castle, of which the other founders knew nothing. Slytherin, according to the legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that none would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir alone would be able to unseal the Chamber of Secrets, unleash the horror within, and use it to purget he school of all who were unworthy to study magic. The whole thing is arrant nonsense, of course. Naturally, the school has been searched for evidence of such a chamber, many times, by the most learned witches and wizards. It does not exist. A tale told to frighten the gullible."