37

ARIA SAT IN THE GREAT HALL WITH HER FRIENDS THE NEXT MORNING observing their schedules

"Today's not bad . . . outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures . . . damn it, we're still with the Slytherins."
"Double Divination this afternoon," Harry groaned looking down defeated Aria frowned knowing that Divination was his least favorite subject, apart from Potions as Professor Trelawney kept predicting Harry's death which he often ranted to Aria about because he found it extremely annoying. 
"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" Hermione stated knowingly spreading some butter on her toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy." 
"You're eating again, I notice." Ron stated noticing Hermione was adding jam to her toast too. 
"I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights," Hermione acknowledged knowingly 

"Yeah... and you were hungry." Ron replied grinning causing Aria to let out a small laugh but quickly covered it when Hermione sent her a warning glance. There was a sudden noise of rustling above them gaining the group's attention as a hundred owls came soaring through the open window carrying the morning mail. Aria didn't bother looking up as she already knew that everyone who would've sent her a letter was already in this room. However, there was still part of her that wished that Sirius would've written to her about anything even just to check up on her. But unfortunately she knew that it was very unlikely that that was the case. Later, she stood in Herbology listening to Professor Sprout lecture them about some interesting looking plants that reminded her of thick, black giant slugs. 
"Bubotubers," Professor Sprout announced "They need squeezing. You will collect the pus —"
"The what ???" Seamus spat out in disgust 
"Pus, Finnigan, Pus." Professor Sprout stated rolling her eyes "and it's extremely valuable, so don't waste it. You will collect the pus, I say, in these bottles. Wear your dragon-hide gloves; it can do funny things to the skin when undiluted, bubotuber pus"

Squeezing the bubotubers was disgusting in Aria's opinion but as she finished her last bottle she handed it off to Professor Sprout who thankfully took it and continued stoppering the last bottle with a cork. Shortly after, a booming bell echoed from the castle signaling the end of the lesson causing the students to leave the room and go on their separate ways. The Gryffindor class, headed down the sloping lawn towards Hagrid's small wooden cabin. Aria immediately noticed Hagrid who was standing outside his hut with Fang in one hand and wooden crates on the ground at his feet. 

As they drew closer, an odd rattling noise reached their ears.
"Mornin'!" Hagrid greeted grinning at Harry, Ron, Aria and Hermione. 
"Be'er wait fer the Slytherins, they won' want ter miss this — Blast-Ended Skrewts!" Hagrid informed the group causing Ron to raise a curious eyebrow. 

"Come again?" Ron questioned this caused Hagrid to point down into the crates. 
"Eurgh!" Lavender Brown squealed jumping backward. 

This gained Aria's attention as she peeked into the crates herself,  they looked like deformed, shell-less lobsters, horribly pale and slimy-looking, with legs sticking out in very odd places and no visible heads. There were about a hundred of them in each crate, each about six inches long, crawling over one another, bumping blindly into the sides of the boxes. They were giving off a very powerful smell of rotting fish. Every now and then, sparks would fly out of the end of a skrewt, and with a small phut, it would be propelled forward several inches.