35. Heartfelt Wishes

"Mom..."

I freed myself from Christian's hold and took a step towards her.

"What is going on?", She asked in disbelief, raising her voice.

She is mad, she was clearly shocked. Her face was colourless and she looked pale. She must have never thought of this even in her wildest dreams. I wasn't even prepared what to say, I was in trauma myself. She was looking at me and then at Christian in dismay.

"Mom, I can explain." I said.

She pulled her eyebrows together.
"Explain what, Reign? What are you doing with your bodyguard on the terrace..." she glanced at Christian, "kissing?", She asked.

"It's not what it looks like Maa." I said trying to make her calm. I was afraid how she might react if I told her I was in love with Christian. I wanted to tell her some different story about Christian and I. I didn't want to put her into something she should not worry about.

"Then how is it? Please tell me that you are just fooling around with him." She said and the worry was pretty evident in her voice. But this is not what I was expecting from her. I thought she would be mad if I tell her that I was making out with him casually with no feelings involved.

"What? No, Mom. We are not fooling around for fun. I have feelings for him. I love him...." I told her the truth and I was hoping this would lessen her anger but she widened her eyes at me.

"Are you crazy, Reign? Do you not know your father?", She asked.

I'm afraid but she was right. I should have thought practically before letting my feelings overcome my brains. But it's too late now and I'm happy to be with him.

She looked at Christian and sighed.
"Christian... I'm really grateful to you. You have been protecting my daughter, putting her life before yours but.... it's not going to happen."

"Why not?", Christian asked.

Mom stepped ahead and grabbed my hand in hers. She looked down at our hands and sighed.

"Her father... would never be okay with your relationship.... and I'm saying this because I know him." Her voice was shaking.

Christian's phone rang and he answered.
"Yes, Sir?", his voice tough.

"Yes, Missus and Miss Adams are with me." He said.

"Right, Sir." He hung up and looked at Mom.

"Mister Adams is looking for you, Ma'am." He said. Mom gazed at me.

"We have to talk about this." She said and turned around to leave.

What if she tells Dad? That would be the worse thing to happen this soon.

"Mom...", I called out. "Please don't tell Dad." I requested her with a timid voice. If this is how Mom reacted when she found out, I cannot imagine how Dad will take this.

"Don't worry. He is not going to find out." She said and started to ascend down the stairs. I stared at her back as I felt Christian entwine his fingers in mine.

"It's going to be fine...", He said.

_________________

Christian's hand on the steering wheel and this broad shoulders were the only visible part to me from the backseat. I was staring at his hands. He was grabbing the wheel firmly, his knuckles were turning white. I wonder what he is thinking of? Maybe the same chaos that is going in my mind. Mom said that she wants to talk to me, I just hope she supports me and doesn't go against me. Because she has always stood by Dad, supporting his every decision without raising any questions. She was more wife to Dad than she was a mother to us.