Chapter 17: Meeting Knuckles Wilkins

The uneasiness was strong for the two hedgehogs right now. A dead splicer body was slouching on a metal pillar in the room, as the blood was above his head and right next to the head was a hook. Sure, Sonic was uneasy, but at this point, it was normal to see corpses lying around the place. He searches around the place before heading towards a door with the sign ' Fontaine's Fisheries ' above it. 

" And one day the gentlemen stopped calling... "

The blue hedgehog saw how tense Shadow was, noticing that the ebony one didn't speak as much as he did before in Medical Pavilion. Sonic frowned, as he tries to pat him on the shoulder but instead he received a slap on the hand. The hedgehog looked at the other, pulling his hand close to his chest as Shadow's dead, glaring eyes stared straight into his soul. Sonic sighed, knocking at the entrance to Fisheries. The slit opened up to see what looked like a red echidna wearing one of those masks when metalworking is being done. The echidna starts speaking to him. 

" Atlas radioed on ahead, says you two were looking for an invite to the fisheries. Nuts, I say. But if'n you heads up to the wharf master's office and find ol' Knuckles a research camera, maybe I could manage an invite... "

Sonic's ears twitch, hearing someone humming a song. The blue hedgehog recognized the song to whoever was humming it, it was called If I didn't care by the Ink Spots! // Youtube video up above where the picture is of the song! //

" What was that? "

The echidna spoke in spooked tone. 

" My friend, you are fucked. " 

The echidna closed the slit as Sonic steps back, seeing red rose petals in front of him. He goes to talk to Shadow but doesn't see him anywhere. The blue hedgehog sighed, he thought he was finally saving Shadow and now he's nowhere to be found. Now, he didn't know why, but he felt his heart break a little bit, as he clutches his chest as tears slipped through and fell down his face unnoticed. He touches his face, finally noticing the ninja-like tears, wiping them away, taking out his pistol. He didn't need Shadow, he was only a helper and Sonic would save him as best as possible, but clearly, he couldn't do that.

He was alone now, and there was only himself to take care now. 

He collected everything on the conveyer belt he didn't notice before as he turns away, continuing to hear the humming as he sees more rose petals falling out of seemingly nowhere at the heal station. Sonic was about to leave until he heard a woman screeching:

" My youth! My rose! I want it back! I want it back!! Yeargh! "

The bat splicer, Rouge came from above and started to attack him. With no hesitance at all, he uses Incinerate on her but heard a grunt from a male instead. Sonic's eyes widen as Shadow was in front of him, blocking Rouge from him as he was burned. The blue one dropped his pistol, he hurt his only friend in Rapture, and he knew he couldn't attack the other splicer with Shadow in front of him. Sonic was not doing this, not today, so he left the room as fast as he could but, Rouge chased him with Shadow right behind her.

With a growl, he takes out a shotgun and points it at Rouge, glaring at Shadow.

" Shadow, I understand this is your friend, but I gotta kill her. "

" Kill her and I'll kill you, hedgehog! "

Sonic stood there, unaffected as he waited for Shadow to decide. Rouge kept on slashing at Sonic's chest, as the blue hedgehog wincing with each slashed. Shadow looked at Rouge, who was now completely insane and then to Sonic who looked like he was about to faint. His radio turned on as Knuckles Wilkins starts speaking.

" You hold tightly. I'm sending something fierce to watch your back. "

Shadow sigh as he took his pistol and shot Rouge a few times, not killing her, but distracting her. Rouge runs back into the room, from the place she was hiding until her screams of agony were heard. Shadow winces, disbelief in his eyes as Sonic panted, he was bleeding out as he limps towards the healing station. Shadow stopped him and sat him down, taking out a first aid kit and started to take off his shirt and started wrapping his torso. 

" I'm sorry for protecting Rouge... "

" Shadz, it's fine, I understand that she was your friend. "

" But you got hurt because of it... "

" And I probably will get hurt in the future, don't worry Shadz. I'm fine. "

The ebony one goes silent as he finishes up the bandages. The echidna opens up the slit again to talk to the hedgehogs. 

" That one's too tough for you. Look on the conveyer belt, you'll find something to keep you alive. Now go get that camera and then snapshots of on those that crawls on the ceiling... Then I'll let you in to the fisheries... " 

Shadow goes over and grabs the grenade launcher, giving it to Sonic who took it happily. The wounded hedgehog got up and puts the grenade launcher onto his shoulder and looks at Shadow with a smile on his face. Shadow was astonished on how quickly Sonic is able to get back onto his feet without letting his guard down. They both leave the room as the echidna continues on.

" Just remember, sonny friends: I smell an ounce of Fontaine on you, and I'll have you in a box! Atlas gives you the vouch, but I ain't turning my eye just on his say so! "

As soon as Knuckles shuts the slit, the radio turns on.

" Grown man, jumpin' at ghosts. Fontaine's dead and everybody knows it. In the ground for months, and half this place still jumping at his shadow... Christ, even Ryan. You never mind all that. We got work to do. "

Sonic looks at Shadow with a confused look, wondering who the hell in the world is Fontaine.

" Shadow, who is Fontaine? "

The ebony one freezes up before he speaks. 

" Frank Fontaine was a terrible man that did terrible things. "

They were quiet for a while, Sonic guess he should stop talking about Fontaine, and get focus on finding the research camera.

// Again, sorry for the short chapter, I'll make the next chapter 2334 words. I was busy with my Baby bro's 3rd birthday party today. Have a good day!