Chapter 18 Giving Up?

Cleo Emerald's POV

" What's your apartment address?" Laurent asked casually in the driver seat. I'm so stubborn to sit at the back instead of joining him in front of his car, but he seemed unaffected about it which made me more irritated.

"Lincoln Tower at Columbus Avenue", I replied. Beside Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts", I added reading Nelly's text message. I never been in that place but if I'm not mistaken it's just a walking distance to Central Park West.

He never commented which I assumed that he know the place. I keep myself busy looking outside in the duration of the ride until I felt that his car halted. We are in front of a spacious establishment. I don't know if it's already the Lincoln Tower since I failed to notice any signage.

" We're here", he announced shortly before moving out from the driver seat. He quickly opened my door as I heard the concierge greeted him.

" Thank you", I uttered shortly with my eyes fixed to the approaching woman with a wide smile plastered on her beautiful face. I sauntered closer to meet her while I felt Laurent's presence following me.

Welcome to Lincoln Tower", she looked so friendly and accommodating.

" Thank you. You must be Nelly?" I asked beaming.

" No, I'm Carmela by the way", she confirmed extending her right hand. "Laurent's friend".

" Oh! I'm sorry", I said instantly.

" Carmela", I turned to him when he spoke. She came closer and gave him a peek on his cheek while my sight transferred to his hand that is gently touching her shoulder blade.

" I'm glad to see you. It's been a month that you missed to visit us". From enthusiasm her aura became sullen.

" I'm sorry. I was into a very important matter". He glanced at me then looked back to her, his expression was apologetic. I have this feeling that there is something between them. I can't put a name on it for now but their bond seemed deep. And it' threatens me!

" I understand. But you should have to go home soon. Patrick is always looking for you", I was stunned listening to her statement. "Home? and who the hell is Patrick?"  I was getting anxious. My heartbeat started to hammered under my chest.

" Ahmm, I have to go", I interrupted them and went straight to the reception before my mind get corrupted from all the negative thoughts that rushing in. Seeing him with that woman, the way they talk each other..., it brings too much fear and I started getting paranoid.

I still avoided to turn to their direction even when I was already inside. I just hope they will disappear than blocking my sight again.

" Nelly, I'm already here in the reception", I stated directly when she accepted my call.

" Okey, just wait a second. I'm coming down", she answered in a hurry then the lost connection tone was heard. "Probably she's in the elevator". I crossed my arms in my chest while flipping my fingers waiting for her.

" Ms. Emerald Sanders?" I took a deep sigh of relief when a middle-aged woman appeared in front of me.

" Yes, you can call me Cleo or Emerald", I told her. You're Nelly?" I asked to verify.

" Yeah, Nelly McGregor. I'm a Real Estate Consultant.

" Nice meeting you", I smiled at her. I was apprehensive when I glimpsed the two entering the building. " Nelly, can I go ahead? And can you please talk to that guy for my luggage?" I fleetly asked while discreetly pointing Laurent.

" S-sure", she agreed nodding her head.

" Thank you. What's the unit number?" I asked.

" 22 A, corner unit", I quickly rushed towards the elevator after she motioned the direction.

" And Nelly,  please tell him that I need rest", I made a quick head turn and waited her did a thumbs up before proceeding to the lift. " I need space from him to think. Laurent is a huge distraction to me".

Laurent's POV

"So, when are you having dinner with us?"  Carmela was so ecstatic while waiting my response. It is rude if I follow Cleo and leave her.

" I will call you if I'm not busy", I told her.

" How about tonight? I'm sure Mama and Patrick will be delighted to see you", I chuckled, impressed by her convincing power.

" So..?  She was grinning widely while I was clicking my tongue repeatedly.

" That's it. That means yes!" She squeaked trying to control her excitement. I know she's lowering her voice not to get the attention of many. Being the assigned manager here, she's making sure that she's acting accordingly to gain the respect of her subordinates.

" What do you want to eat then?"  She asked while I opened the trunk of my car to get Cleo's luggage. One of the valet move closer to help but I motioned him to stop. "I can do it myself. Besides, I wanted to have a reason to stay longer with Cleo".

" You can take care of it Carmela", I told her while we started walking inside. I first looked for Cleo when we finally entered. She's near the reception talking to a woman.

" Okey. I will call Mama now" she said fishing out her phone from the pocket of her office suit and strode towards her office.

" Hi, is that Emerald's luggage?" I faced the woman and looked unto her back where I saw Cleo earlier but she's gone.

" Yes, where is she? I will bring this to her apartment", I felt weird about the situation but I still told her my intention.

" She decided to go ahead Mr..," she paused.

" Laurent Bryce, you can call me Laurent", I was trying to be friendly but my mind was occupied by what Cleo was implying.

" Oh, Laurent Morgan Bryce of Morgan Furnitures Limited?" She was talking with awe.

" Yes, I smiled sheepishly. I'm not used facing people with too much admiration towards me because of my craft that's why I stayed low and always let my trusted person, Chad Brown in particular to do the appearances. Even here in Lincoln Tower, only few knows that I'm one of the owner.

" I'm so honored to see you in person Laurent", she still talked with fascination.

" Thank you", I replied with discomfort.  " Can we proceed now to Cleo's apartment?" I changed the topic to loosen up.

" Ahm, I think you don't need to do that L-Laurent. I will ask the concierge instead", My assumption was right afterall. Cleo is clearly avoiding me again.

" Believe me, I can do this", I spoke seriously. Irritation started to consumed me due to Cleo's stubbornness.

"According to her, she wanted to rest", the woman added.

" Greg, please go with her and bring that luggage",  Carmela interrupted us in her polite tone. To others, she sounds helpful and great but to me who knew her well, I know that she's annoyed.

" Stop it", that's what I saw in her eyes when I looked at her. Instead of showing my disappointment to the situation. I leave them and went out. " Yeah, maybe Carmela is right. Why should I kept on pushing myself to her if the best thing she can do is shoving me away?"

"I'll be there  7 p.m"  I texted Carmela before driving like a mad man.