Chapter 35 Personal Motive

Cleo Emerald's POV

The launching is about to start when we arrive at Finn Hotel. I saw Mr. Graham and other Sander's Cosmetic executives in the chairs intended for them.

" Are we late?" Laurent whispered. I silently towed him to our allotted seats. Mr. Graham nodded his head when he saw me which I replied with a small smile. As trainee, I've been part of the preparation team for this event. But today my assignment is to observe the actual launching process. I have to submit to Mr. Graham my wrap up report tomorrow morning.

" Don't worry, we're just on time", I told him. I glimpsed flashes of cameras towards our location. Those were coming from the photographers, vloggers, reporters and other media personalities that were invited by the sales and marketing team. I felt anxious when I realized that Laurent is sitting comfortably right next to me with his hand simply holding mine. It seemed my husband doesn't care about publicity.

" Would you care some drinks madam..? Sir..?" I quickly reach the stemmed glass that the waiter offered and gulp the content without asking him what it was. I winced when the bitterness of the liquid escalated to my throat. The wine was too strong for my taste.

"Hey, Sweetie relax", he was looking at me intently. He get my glass and put it in our table. "What's bothering you?"he sounds full of concern.

" I think this..., is not a good idea", I was referring on accompanying him here. "This might attract press attention", I added.

"Are you afraid?" I don't see any hint of anxiety in his reaction.

" Do I have to?" I returned the question. His relaxed vibe was a big help to lessen my fret.

" No", He muttered seriously. I took a deep sigh hearing his reply. " So don't mind them. Just focus on your assignment. I am here if you need a helping hand", he smiled while I was eyeing him with disbelief, processing all that he said. It is so shocking knowing my husband's "Who cares about them" behavior.

Laurent's POV

I'm not even surprised when I sensed Cleo's agitation. Upon entering the venue, I already caught several glances on some of the guests. Others took pictures discreetly. But what alarmed her are the group of press people gathering in one side of the function hall. They were conspicuously capturing photos of us.

" Lau, are you fine if I leave you for a while?" she mumbled. "I will talk to Alicia while she's available. It has something to do with my assignment", she explained.

" Yeah, sure!" I replied cheerfully. I'm glad that she loosened up a bit.

" Thanks, I'll be back before the launching starts", I barely heard her this time because of the surround sounds. Random videos about cosmetic products with Sander's Cosmetics logo were shown in a large monitor. It now become the center of everyone's attention.

"From make-up, foundation, skin care and more. I can't really imagine women applying all those products in their body. Tsk!tsk!tsk! Boredom strikes after twenty minutes of watching the screen. I sipped the remaining wine in my glass and glanced my watch. This is what Stanley often says..., "husband's duty".

I checked my Cleo.., she is in the corner confidently talking to a petite woman, probably that's Alicia. I'm so proud of her. I can't wait to shout to the world that she's my wife. Well, that's nearly happening. I was really the one who volunteered to go with her. She's even excited, thanking me for being so thoughtful for supporting her but the truth is ..., I wanted to get people's attention. The fast that this will come to her family's awareness, especially to her nonno the better. I'm not afraid to her family because I only have good intentions to her but I can't do what I'm thinking is right because I respect her. This set-up we have now will never be an option to me if not only that I love and respect her. But now, I have to make a move to make things right without losing her trust.

" Are you bored?" I didn't notice that she's already back.

" A little, but it's fine", I held her dainty hand under the table and contentedly reclined my back.

" Don't worry, it's about to begin", she simply said while taking her phone from her clutch bag. She was busy typing when that woman she talked earlier walks to the platform holding a microphone.

" That's Alicia, our Sales & Marketing Head", she pronounced.

" Uh-huh", I acknowledged. I was right then.

There was a short acknowledgement to distinguished guests before the introduction of the new products starts. They starts with the Sander's Cosmetics Infallible Full Wear Concealer. It's transfer-proof and water proof and so on and so fort. The second one is the Sander's Cosmetics Infallible 24 HR Fresh Wear Matte Liquid Foundation.

" You're frowning Dear husband, care to share?" I jerked when she playfully poke my stomach. Instead of answering her, I cornered her hand and suck her forefinger unobtrusively. I feel her stilled before she looked around to check if there's someone who saw what I did.

" My goodness! Don't do that again", she rebuked me. I just stared at her with my most charming smile. "You are really a tease", she added.

" How about getting a room after this my temptress?", I suggested grinning.

" Ssshhhhh...., shut-up!" She's glaring at me this time.

"O-kay...., But I'm serious about the room reservation", I uttered mischievously.

"Fine..., as long as you behave now", she replied and drew her attention back to the ongoing event.

" Yes!" I expressed inaudibly. Afraid that she will change her mind.

" Why your products label are too long?" I asked. That answers her question earlier of why I was frowning?".

" Dear husband, that's the latest trend. In cosmetics, the label itself should already convey the uses and how distinct that product is from the others. That's what make it more marketable", she explained patiently. I can see too much passion in her eyes.

" You really like this job are you?" I asked her intently.

"Yeah", she giggled covering her mouth. Such a sweet gesture! We became silent again as we resume watching the activity.

It's around 4 pm when we leave the function room. We are heading to the lobby to book a hotel room.

" So..., you really mean it?" I heard her chuckle.

" Ofcourse!" I winked at her.

" Excuse me..."We both halted and turned to our back.

" Oh, Martha it's you...! Cleo exclaimed cheerfully. "How are you?" She approached the woman and hugged her.

" I'm good.., thank you", Martha replied.

"What brought you here?" Cleo seemed knew the woman very well. " When did you arrived?"

" Just this morning", she smiled. "By the way, your nonno wants to talk to you and a certain Laurent Bryce..?" She stated. Cleo stilled as our gaze met.

" I am Laurent Bryce", I introduced myself.
"You're saying that Adam Sanders is here?" I asked for confirmation.

" Yes..., he's in the Presidential Suite resting", she replied without having a clue that Cleo is feeling ill in front of her.

" Thank you Martha. Please tell Adam that we will follow shortly", my intention is to dismissed her.

" Okay, I'll go ahead", she uttered anticipatedly. She glanced my Cleo once more before leaving.

" What are we going to do?" Cleo was looking so helpless while I assisted her to the nearest couch.

" Do you trust me?" My eyes fixed on hers waiting for her response.

" I do", she replied with hope flickered in her eyes.

" That's good. Let's face your nonno!" I even heard the determination in my voice. I know that this will bound to happen but honestly I didn't expect that it's this fast".