Part 14

~The next morning~

I flinched awake at a soft thump. It was still dark in the attic, but there was light seeping through the cracks in the floorboards. I slowly clambered to my feet, glancing down at my bed.

Moving almost in slow motion, I pulled on the hatch to the bottom floor, and it opened up, revealing Kacchan's bedroom. He was awake, laying on his bed with his legs crossed. His eyes flicked up from his phone to me.

"Hey, idiot."

"Hey, Kacchan." I looked down at the trapdoor, unsure how to get the ladder to extend down to the floor. I fumbled with the string I'd seen him pull last night, but the ladder didn't budge from its hold. I pulled it again, and there was a cracking sound. I winced. "Ah, um, how do you..." I looked at him almost helplessly. His eyebrows raised, and he smirked at me.

"Dumbass," he chuckled, standing up and walking over. "Hand me the string."

He extended his hand toward me, and I tossed down the little strand of yarn attached to the ladder. With little to no difficulty, he pulled down the ladder, and it touched down on the floor. I sighed in relief, blowing a strand of hair from my face. "Ah, thanks..."

He didn't reply, but sat back down on his bed. "So, I have school today, but I'm off tomorrow. You hungry, or anything?"

I climbed down the ladder, and was able to put it back up. I turned to look at him. "Oh. Um, a little, I guess..."

He stood up again, and walked over to a mini fridge in the corner. He pulled out a carton of milk. "There's, uh, cereal, or leftovers Kirishima dropped off from his mom." He shrugged, setting the milk on the counter and straightening up. "Your choice."

"Okay. Th-thanks."

He rolled his eyes. "Stop being so paranoid. It's fucking annoying."

"S-sorry."

I watched as he walked over to his closet, and pulled out a school-issued uniform. There was a red tie on top of the pile, but he just tossed it onto his dresser. He caught me looking at him, and shrugged.

"Tie's not required, and it looks dumb as fuck."

Huh. "Oh. Okay, makes sense." I walked over to the counter and flicked open the cereal box.

"Bowls are in the cabinet," Kacchan called over his shoulder, reading my mind.

"Ah, right," I said, holding my breath as I stood on the tips of my toes to reach the bowl cabinet.

I got down a bowl and fixed myself breakfast. I found spoons in a drawer under the counter, and I stood a little awkwardly in the kitchen with my bowl of cereal. I wasn't really hungry. Or, I just didn't feel like I could keep anything down.

Kacchan turned back around, buttoning all but the last two buttons at the top of his shirt. Come to think of it, his shirt was never fully buttoned, and he never wore a tie. It'd be rude for anyone else to walk around wearing that, but with Kacchan... well, I guess everyone just expected that kind of thing from him.

He met my eyes, raising an eyebrow. "What?"

I shook my head and dropped my gaze down to the untouched bowl of cereal. He walked past me into the bathroom, muttering, "Idiot."

That's Kacchan for you, I thought bleakly, watching the door shut behind him.

I ate the cereal a lot faster than I thought I could've at the time. It wasn't especially filling, but at the same time, I wasn't especially hungry.