Part 59

IZUKU POV

A searing pain shot up my back as I gained consciousness, and I sat up with a jolt, my eyes wide. No. Not again. Shit... I was seated on a cot in a small room, but it wasn't familiar to me. It sort of looked like a low-budget hotel room, really. There was a small decorative window to my right and a door to my left. I wasn't wearing a shirt, and my torso was drenched in a cold sweat. I quickly got to my feet, wincing at the aches haunting my body from my last run-in with the villain Seven, and shuffled over to the window. I didn't recognize the area we were in, but the room I was in was way off the ground. Something along the lines of an apartment building?

"Are you awake? Splendid." I jumped at a voice, seemingly coming from right next to me. I spun around, but no one was there. "On your chest," The voice came, sounding cheerful, and I looked down at my chest, my heart rate increasing rapidly. There was something that looked like a chip embedded in my skin, right over my heart. It was in the shape of a diamond, and it was a deep amber color. It almost reminded me of the color of Kacchan's eyes. I immediately grabbed at it, panicking, trying to detach it from my skin. The voice laughed gaily.

"Afraid that won't work, my boy. It's connected to one of your heart's main arteries, you see. Tear that out and it's suicide."

I stumbled backwards, gasping, on the verge of a panic attack. You'd think I'd be used to being kidnapped by now. Huh. My shoulder blades slammed against the cold wall of the room, my chest heaving. My hands ran through my hair, raking my green tufts agitatedly.

"Take me back," I said hoarsely. "You don't need me."

"That's where you're wrong, I'm afraid," the voice, which was a man's, replied. "The big man is waiting to meet you. Then he'll decide whether he wants you for sure or not."

"Shit." I banged my head back against the wall, clenching my eyes shut and embracing the pain as a call back to reality. "Shit. Shit. Shit."

"Knock it off, kid," The voice came, sounding annoyed. "You'll grow to like it here. Never a dull moment with All for One."

A shudder went through my body. All for One. That son of a bitch... I should be at home with Kacchan, studying for our midterms, but no, instead I'm cooped up in a tiny apartment bedroom with a deadly chip embedded in my chest.

"You're scrawnier than I'd pictured," The voice piped up. I stiffened. There's a camera in here... not crazy surprising, really. "It's in the chip," The voice said, as though reading my mind. I looked up at the ceiling. Of course it is. Just my fucking luck.

"I wouldn't call it luck, really, son, it's just fate. I don't believe in luck."

"Is that your quirk?" I said, exhaling slowly. "Reading minds?"

"Hah, I wish," The voice replied. "No, that's the chip's doing too. Brilliant, innit?"

"Your... your chip, can read minds?" I laughed dryly in disbelief. "That's just fucking perfect, innit?"

"Well, yes, I'd say- Oh, you're being sarcastic. Better get that out of your system now, son, because the boss will call for you any minute, and he's not known to be much of a jokester."

I stayed quiet, closing my eyes and resting my head in my hands. How did I let this happen again... We were doing so well. We're growing close to graduation, I had great grades, everything was shaping up. Kacchan... I should've told him. Should have told him at the start of things, then maybe I could have avoided this...

"Ah, that the boyfriend I've heard so much about?"

"Get out of my head," I growled, smacking at the chip. "Jeez, just... give me a fucking minute, will you?"

"Very well. Don't be thinking up any escape plans, yeah? I'm gonna go fetch some coffee, care for any?"

"No."

"Have it your way, then." The chip blinked twice, then went silent.

I have to get out of here. There's gotta be a loophole. Maybe... maybe if I act like a dick they won't want me on their team. Or maybe if I like... broke down crying in front of them?

I got to my feet and went over to the window again. It wasn't barred, but the glass was as thick as the wall, which must've been at least four feet in diameter. I couldn't break through that, and might break my hand trying. If I had a quirk... it'd be a piece of cake. I then tried the door (locked, of course.) I tried kicking it down, but felt a jolt of pain in my chest, so jarring I fell to the ground, gasping for breath.

"Thought I told you to sit tight?" The voice came again. "That's the chip's oldest feature, the ol' shocker. It sends an electric volt to the nervous system over your heart, and your brain freaks out because it fears for your life, therefore shutting down your whole body for a moment or two. I can worsen the shock, or make it more of a light warning tap. Y'know, I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Nomai, your personal trainer. But think less 'gym,' more 'dog on a leash.' I'm gonna make sure you stay in line, per the boss's orders."

"That's sick," I spat, climbing back to my feet, the pain slowly subsiding.

"Oh, but I'll also be your primary trainer once the boss figures out what we're doing with you. Personally, I'd peg you with maybe a psychic or fighting type quirk? What do you think?"

"I'm quirkless, dumbass," I chuckled. "Otherwise I'd be beating your ass right now."

"Right, right... Well, not really, but I do see your point. Oh-" There was a scuffling on the other end of the... chip? "Ah, here we are. The boss has sent for you, I'll be down in a jiff. Hang tight."

I clenched my jaw, shifting nervously. What had I gotten myself into?

Hey. So I've been... sad. But here's a new chapter, I know it's short but I've been really uninspired and wanting to jump off a cliff so at least it's something. Thank you for being here.

Kendall