Part 57

"Izuku?"

Focus. Focus on the here and now.

"Hmm?"

He marched in, still frowning, his phone clenched between his shoulder and his ear. "Can you wait, like, an hour? She's on her way from out of town, but it'll take her a while to get here."

I thought for a minute, then nodded. I'd experienced pain before; I could handle it. An hour was nothing.

He nodded back at me, then said into the phone, "Yeah, that'll work, just get here as soon as you can. Okay. Yeah, thanks." He hung up, and sending another concerned glance my way set his phone on the table. He drew in a breath, closing his eyes for a moment and exhaling slowly, then he found his way over to me and sat down on the end of the couch near my head. His fingers found their way to my hair, and he stroked my green curls like I was a cat. I closed my eyes, trying to shut everything else out except Kacchan's gentle, familiar touch and the warmth of his body close to mine. But the gnawing truth kept eating at the corners of my mind, and I would have to face it one way or another.

SHOTO POV

I was on the couch, eating my noodles. It was Sunday, my dad had visited earlier that morning to yell at me some more for not going to his private spring break training camp, so I was stress eating an abundance of soba. And then the door to the dorms slammed open, and being a hero-in-training, I like thinking of myself as always on alert, but I jumped and my noodles sloshed onto my lap. I stared blankly down at the mess I'd made, and sighed quietly. My eyes flicked back toward the door that had been slammed open so violently, and I saw Yoko Tarami, a third year student, barging into the boy's dorm with her arms full of bandages and healing ointments and disenfectants. I started to get up to help her, but she met my eyes and shook her head furiously, so I just watched curiously as she carried the supplies down the hall and disappeared around the corner.

Curiosity kills the cat, or so they say, and I couldn't help but slink off the couch, setting my noodles on the table, brushing off my lap and following where she'd ran off to. I peered around the hallway, listening closely to the muffled conversation coming from Bakugou's dorm room. It was Bakugou and Midoriya, and I assumed the third voice was Tarami.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," The girl's voice said, sounding irritated. "It's too early to be fixing up second years. Dummy, you don't have a single healing quirk in your hero division?"

"You were our best option," Bakugou's voice replied. I frowned. Best option for what...

"Sorry," Izuku's voice was so quiet I almost didn't hear him. I knew he and Bakugou had been in trouble before; I'd even helped them out of it. But I thought they'd been okay for a while, that they hadn't been associating themselves with the villains. Why would they need a third year healing quirk? Maybe Midoriya pushed himself too far in training. He has been working awfully hard...As someone who was often overworked myself, I knew the stress of overtraining could toll on your body greatly. They knew that too... wouldn't Bakugou have been more careful if he'd seen Midoriya overworking himself?

"There, that should do it. Hold off from training for a day or two, until you feel back to normal. If you get in trouble for whatever this is, you drag my name into it you're dead. Got that?"

There wasn't a response, so I assumed they'd nodded, and I ducked back around the corner as the door slammed open again and she marched out of the room. She shot me a sideways glance on her way out, her eyes narrow, and I raised a hand to wave slightly, but she was gone, slamming the door behind her. That girl sure knows how to make a ruckus...

"So, you gonna tell me what happened?" Bakugou's voice again. I knew I should stop listening, but if they were going to get into trouble again, I might as well be in the loop. I leaned toward their door tentatively.