Part 42

About twenty minutes, later, a loud whistle sounded in the courtyard, signaling the game was over.

"Count your jerseys!" Sora hollered. Kazuto filtered through the enemy jerseys we'd acquired, then yelled,

"We got twenty!"

"Shit!" A guy on the other team cursed. "Thirteen," He yelled back at us.

"Fuck yeah!" In a flash, Sora was hoisting me up on his shoulders, cheering. "Let's go, newbie!"

I blinked, surprised at the six feet I'd just gained.

"C-careful!" I said, grabbing his hair instinctively so I wouldn't fall off. He laughed.

"Calm down, I ain't gonna drop you. Let's celebrate, huh?" He started forward, still carrying me atop his shoulders, toward the gathering crowd, which consisted of members of our team booing the losers on the other team.

"Oy, I got news for you bitches," Sora announced in a loud voice. Like dogs, at his command they all went quiet and looked our way. "I've decided to take the newbie under my wing. From now on, you fuck with the newbie, you fuck with me. Got that?"

A collective murmur of agreement swept through the crowd. Sora tilted his head upward, looking at me mischeviously.

"Now it's time for initiation," He said, smirking.

"Wha-ah!" I locked my legs around his torso, clinging on for my life as he sprinted with me on his back toward the jail cell.

"Gotta hurry, we need our supplies," He said, glancing up at me again. My heart was beating fast, whether from adrenaline or fear of dying from a fall that high, I wasn't sure. (Yeah, realistically, I wouldn't die, but... You know.) "Watch your head," He said, just in time. I dropped my chin to the top of his head, barely avoiding getting conked by the cinderblock ceiling of the storage house. His orange hair tickled my skin.

"It's gotta be here somewhere...." He said, digging through boxes.

"What are you looki-" He interrupted me, turning his head to the side.

"Oy, Yuuto, where'd you put the needles and jewelry, huh?"

I jumped a little, not realizing Yuuto had appeared by Sora's side, his nose still stuck in the same book. He glanced up from it.

"They're behind the water guns," He said, sounding bored.

"Thanks, stupid," Sora said, rummaging around a bit more before pulling out a little plasic bag that looked older than me, containing a thin piercing needle and a few bits of old jewelry.

"Sora, what's this fo-"

"Shh, you'll find out," He said, pinching my leg. I winced.

"What was that for?" I said, a little annoyed. He looked up at me, sticking out his tongue playfully.

"Told you to be quiet, didn't I?" He said, quirking up an eyebrow. I frowned, pouting a little. "Aww, don't be angry," He cooed, seeming worried he'd upset me. I almost laughed at how quickly his attitude had changed. "Let's get back to the rooms before we're locked in the storage cell for a week, huh?"

I nodded, letting my anger slip away, since it wasn't really worth holding on to. With me still on his shoulders, Sora went back in to the jail building, where everyone was already in their cells, waiting for the doors to shut. When we walked in, a couple people cheered, somebody whistled at us, somebody yelled some catcall shit at us. Sora kneeled down, lifting me off his shoulders and letting me stand on my own accord. The cell doors, with a grinding, cranking sound, shut on their own, and the locks clicked.