Part 35

IZUKU POV

I glanced over Sero's shoulder, my hand grasped over my mouth tightly.

Be quiet, he'd whispered to me after we landed beneath the bridge on Central. I could hear my heartbeat loud and clear, and I was praying to God that the police looking for us right now didn't hear it too.

Sero met my eyes, his nervous, mine just plain scared. But not for myself, I mean... at this point, I wasn't afraid of jail, or even dying. I was just afraid of what would happen to Kacchan, or Sero, or Ochaco, or the rest of them.

I hadn't pegged Kirishima as the kind of person who'd call the cops. I mean... I get where he was coming from, sure, but... I thought he'd be loyal to Bakugou. He'd never given me a bad vibe.

But I knew from the pale expression Kacchan had after he shut the door on Kirishima, that something was wrong.

I wonder how Kacchan's doing... I drew in a short breath from my nose, trying to keep as quiet as I possibly could. The police car's sirens could still be heard from where we were hiding; and the only thing keeping us from being visible to the rest of the city was a measly shadow that could disappear within the hour.

The bridge itself was large; usually the gathering spot for people with... I don't know, less fortune. Small-time thieves, drug users, and dealers, usually. We hadn't run into any other people yet, but there was no telling who could waltz in with a weapon, or even turn us in to the police. I wasn't completely sure why Kacchan chose this place as our meetup.

I looked up as a pair of headlights flashed over the bridge. Unlike the rest of the cars, this one pulled off the road, and the lights clicked off.

Sero's eyes narrowed, and he quickly grabbed onto my hand and sent a spiral of tape up to the bottom of the bridge, pulling us upward. He ducked into a shaft, motioning for me to do the same thing. I did, but stayed at an angle where I could see what was beneath me.

A car door opened.

"Izuku?"

Mom... My heart skipped a beat. I looked across at Sero, awaiting instruction. He frowned, motioning for me to wait.

"Hey, you guys," Kacchan's voice came. I breathed a sigh of relief. Sero exhaled slowly, and nodded. The bridge was pretty tall, so instead of just dropping down, Sero used his tape to lower us to the floor. Kacchan and Ochaco came around the corner, closely followed by...

My throat closed up.

"Mom..." I couldn't move.

I hadn't seen her in years.

Her eyes were filled with tears.

"Izuku..." She stumbled forward, and suddenly, I was in her arms. She held me tight, sobbing into my shoulder. "Oh, Izuku... honey..."

"Mom..." I said again, slowly bringing my arms around her and hugging her. My fists were clenched tight so I wouldn't accidentally.... Do something I'd regret.

I felt tears well up in my eyes, and I clenched them shut, burying my face in her shirt. "I'm... I'm so sorry..."

"No," She sniffled, pulling away slightly and bringing her hand up to my face. She cupped my cheeks in her palms, smiling gently. "Don't... don't apologize. I'm the one who's sorry, Izuku."

I searched her deep green eyes, the ones I'd been away from for so long. I was trembling.

"I love you, honey," She said, pulling me into her arms again.

"I.... love you too, mom...."

After a minute, we both straightened up, weak smiles on our faces. Kacchan smirked at me, ruffling my hair.

"Glad you made it out alive, moron."

"Kacchan, you're hurt!" I said worriedly, my eyes catching on his bandaged arm. He chuckled.

"The police force are petty little bitches, who can't do shit. Landed one shot out of twenty. I'm fine," He added.

He nodded at Sero. "You good?"

"Yeah, we got out without any interference." He grinned, shooting Kacchan a thumb's up. Ochaco looked pretty beat up, too. I looked over at her nervously.

"Hey, you okay?"

She nodded, smiling sheepishly. "I wasn't much of a help back there, though... Bakugou's the one who did all the fighting."

Kacchan huffed. "You know damn well we'd have gotten caught if we tried to trek that on foot, so I'd say you helped a shit ton."

She scratched the back of her head thoughtfully. "I guess...."

"Anyhow, where are you kids planning on going?" My mom spoke up, looking between me and Kacchan.

He inhaled. "Well, I figured... we've gotta have someplace we can stay, and preferably somewhere with a roof over our heads. Staying outside risks the police just happening in on us, you know?"

"Right," Sero said, frowning.

"What about a hotel?" Ochaco spoke up. "We could, I don't know, check in under a fake name, and harbor Izuku there?"

Kacchan thought for a second, then nodded slowly. "Yeah... That might just work, only, my wallet was in the dorms, and I don't know how we'd pay for a room..."

"I have you covered there," My mom piped up, her eyes determined. "I need to keep Izuku safe, so at this point, I'd do whatever it takes."

Kacchan nodded at her. "I can reimburse you later. Thanks, Mrs. Midoriya." He looked over at me. "Okay, once we find a hotel, we should call the rest of the class, assuming they made it away from the police force okay. Then if we can find a meetup place, we can talk about our next step."

"Okay," I said in a small voice, drawing in a breath.

"Let's go," My mom said gently, draping her arm around my shoulder and leading me toward the car. I glanced warily back at Kacchan. His arm wound didn't look to deep... still, I didn't know how much blood he'd lost... I couldn't stop worrying about it.

Ochaco sat in the front seat, while Kacchan, Sero and I sat in the back. My mom and I had a lot to catch up on, but now wasn't really the time.

After we'd pulled out of from under the bridge and started off toward town, I could finally feel the tension in my shoulders release a little. Sero and Ochaco and my mom were deep in conversation, about something I wasn't really following.

I leaned my head on Kacchan's shoulder, closing my eyes and exhaling slowly.

"Hey," He said gently. He stayed quiet for a second, then spoke up. "Sorry, Izuku..." He whispered into my hair. "I shouldn't've been so quick to trust him."

I shook my head. "It's okay, I don't blame him. Or you, either." It was bound to happen at some point. I opened my eyes slightly and peered up at him. "How's your arm feeling?"

He lifted his arm up a little (on the opposite side of which I was leaning on) so I could see it.

"It's honestly fine," He said, chuckling "Idiot, I'd be more worried about yourself; you're in a bit of a pickle."

I laughed softly. "That's an understatement."

He shrugged. "Better be optimistic in a shitty situation, huh?"

I smiled, closing my eyes again. "Yeah, guess so."

Hey guys! I'm finally on summer break, which means soooo much less stress X3 Also, I'm gonna cosplay Kaminari and... hopefully it'll turn out okay. 
I went skating today. I still suck at it. 
On a new note, happy pride month!

<3 Kendall