Part 20

KACCHAN POV

He stayed on the phone with his mom for a while more, until someone came over to her house and she had to hang up.

He stared down at the powered off phone in front of him, his expression blank.

"You okay?" I asked him, my tone soft.

He didn't respond. His head slowly turned up to look at me. Tears streaked down his face.

I pulled him into my arms, planting a kiss on his forehead. "Hey, you did the right thing. You're okay, Izuku..."

His sobs were silent as he shook in my arms. It made my heart pang. This stupid kid doesn't deserve all this shit... Damn it...

"Hey, tell you what," I said, resting my chin on top of his fluffy bedhead. "You and me, we're gonna built a fort today. That sound okay?"

Call me an idiot. It was just the first thing that popped into my head, and when I was little, hiding away from the world in a little fort of blankets and pillows was bliss.

He sniffed, slowly looking up at me with a desperate, hopeful curiosity in his eyes.

"A... fort?"

I shrugged. "Sounded fun to me, I mean, I have all those blankets we used last night, and plus the dorms have a whole closet of pillows we can use." I grinned. "We're gonna make a fort. A fucking awesome fort, good enough to take your mind off all of this."

A tiny, almost unnoticeable smile passed over his face. "Thank you..." He whispered, leaning into my chest and letting out a shaky sigh.

"Yeah, no problem, nerd," I chuckled.

We sat there for a couple more minutes, until he'd stopped crying. He straightened up, wiping his eyes on his sleeve (the hoodie I'd let him borrow- he hadn't taken it off since then. It was kinda... nah, it was really cute.)

He nodded at me, and he untangled himself from my arms and we headed over to the couch.

I grabbed two stools from the counter, using them as the far walls for out fort. I draped a long sheet over both of them, making a little covered area beneath the stools, like a tent. Izuku put a stack of books on top of either of the stools, so the sheet wouldn't come off. Then, he began stacking pillows along the edges of the little tent, so the area inside would be larger.

He poked his head out from under the sheet. Seeing my chance, I grinned, all but hurling a pillow at his face. He blinked, recovering from the hit, and then a sly smile slid over his face. He grabbed one of the pillows from his fort and jumped to his feet, a new vigor in his step.

"Square up, Kacchan," He said teasingly, raising his pillow like a weapon. I laughed.

"Oh, you're on." I turned to grab another pillow, but he'd already attacked, and I felt the pillow whap me across the cheek. The blow didn't hurt in the least, but it made me stumble backward, since I wasn't expecting it. Izuku's eyes widened, as though he was worried he'd hurt me, and he lowered his pillow and came over to me.

"Kacchan! Are you ok-" I cut him off, snatching a pillow off the couch and whamming it against his stomach. He let out a small 'oof,' and then his face lit up.

Our little pillow fight went back and forth, until I accidentally got too worked up and kind of... blew up a pillow with my quirk. At that point, I sheepishly got back to finishing up the fort.

Once we were finished, we both camped out inside it, eating apple slices and crustless sandwiches like we were five years old, and playing video games.