Reality Check-Up

°Steven's POV°

°Steven's POV°

''You know,'' Damien speaks, hesitation lingering in his voice, ''I can make you something to settle your stomach back in the penthouse, and you can stay in one of the guest rooms if you don't feel like driving home. I wouldn't mind, and I'm sure Cody would love to get some time to hangout with you.'' He offers.

I honestly wouldn't mind that. I mean it sounds like a really inviting offer. Which is why I'm not going to accept it.

I'm not worried about Damien trying anything. I saw the sincerity in his eyes when he promised to respect my choice and my situation. But not giving him false hope means not allowing myself to have any as well.

''It's probably best if I go home,'' I say quietly. I reach over letting my hand grip his arm, causing him to look up at me. I fix the seat, sitting up in it and facing him. ''Thank you though, Damien. Thank you for everything today. I needed it more than I would've admitted a couple of hours ago. And I'm glad...I'm glad you're back.''

''Of course,'' He says, offering me a smile. But I know he's upset by my decision. I know he won't express it though. ''And I know what you're going through with the baby situation and your drinking, I know it's hard Steven, but I'm gonna help you through this. I'm here for you, and I'd like to believe that I'm a lot more welcoming than a bottle of whiskey. So just call me. Anytime.'' He tells me.

''You're a good friend,'' I inform him.

The look on his face is something beyond hilarious. But the F word had to be used.

''I know,'' He says, smirking as he climbs out of the car as if he doesn't have a slick reply on his tongue protesting my use of the word 'friend'. I do the same and he walks me over to my car door. ''Text me when you make it home, so I can know you made it there safely.'' He tells me.

''Okay,'' I open my car door, getting ready to climb in before a realization comes to me.

I turn around, closing the distance between Damien and I before I make my way into his arms in a tight hug.

I don't have to be an asshole to emotionally restrain myself from Damien. I'm pretty sure I'm capable of keeping my feelings in check and letting him close to me as a friend again. This is far from the most difficult thing I'm going to be dealing with.

I pull back from Damien's arms, his hands lingering on my hips for a few seconds. He recoils them, taking a noticeable step back.

''Well come inside to say hi to Cody before you leave at least,'' He pleads.

I look up at him, noticing that manipulative charming little smile on his face that he uses to get what he wants.

It's working.

''Five minutes, Steven. It's not like you have a curfew, do you?'' He taunts.

I roll my eyes at him.